Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: cutout one week old hive  (Read 2536 times)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
cutout one week old hive
« on: July 10, 2010, 05:30:20 pm »
pretty straight forward.  very flimsy comb.  had just gotten the tarp over the lower opening into the brick part of the post before a piece of comb and bees fell.   that could have been a bit of a mess  :-D

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: cutout one week old hive
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 05:54:35 pm »
Nice job........
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 06:30:56 pm »
Looks like there was a ton of bees in there.

Nicely done, how many frames of brood did you get out of it?
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 07:27:38 pm »
it was good size.  the swarm moved in last weekend, so no brood. did fine a very flimsy piece with eggs and hubby thought he saved one with some larvae. i didn't see that one.  most of the comb was either filled with nectar, or not salvageable. to new and either very soft, or very brittle.  also didn't see the queen which was disappointing, but reasonably sure we got her in there from the way the bees were acting.  will know tonight when we go back for the hive.  most were in there or landing in front when we left.

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 09:46:21 pm »
That was a big swarm Kathy. Nice job!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 11:42:07 pm »
Its amazing what they can do in one week. So Kathy, are you and the hubby a team?? He seems to help out quite a bit.

Wish my hubby was more interested in the bees.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 01:13:10 am »
he does.  he seems to like it.  we don't get to spend to much time together, so it's nice that we can have this in common.  he doesn't ride much and he's not to much into camping and stuff, + he's gone a lot.
he's getting pretty darn good at the bee thing.  makes it nice for me when i have to go away.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 02:55:52 am »
Bravo, man  (er...woman) that looks like a lot of bees!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline lenape13

• Field Bee
  • We survive together, or not at all!
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 06:28:37 am »
Nice job!  Too bad you couldn't take the whole thing home and put a glass front on it, talk about an observation hive!  I guess the homeowner might have frowned on that idea.... :-D

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 10:47:49 am »
i don't know.  they were pretty nice people.  it was a Street Of Dreams place.  way upscale neighborhood but this was one of the more modest places.

we went back in the evening to pick up the hive.  there were a few strays so we swept them up.  as we were closing the hive and getting our stuff, the automatic sprinkler system kicked on.  guess who was standing on the grass when that happened??   :-D  i was pretty well soaked but at least we had moved the hive already.  i forget about the clever gadgets these city folk have!