Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hives in Hay Barn and SHB  (Read 1522 times)

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
Hives in Hay Barn and SHB
« on: March 07, 2011, 10:03:12 pm »
We are looking at a variety of farm properties and many have loafing sheds and one has a hay barn.  (picture a barn with a roof but no sides).  I have read that SHB need to get to dirt to develop and that a control options might include stopping them from reaching the dirt.  My question is whether the hives can be placed on black plastic under a loafing shed or hay barn or whether it would be silly.   This would stop water from raining on the hives  - not a big deal, I know, but the loafing shed could also provide shelter from north wind.  It would also keep out sunlight to an extent, however, and I do not know what this would do.
Brian

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: Hives in Hay Barn and SHB
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 10:31:21 pm »
Do you have SHB there? Just asking as I don't know.

We've got them like crazy here but find that if you keep your hives strong (almost to the point of swarming) the bees can handle them. Full sun seems to help as well.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 10:36:14 pm »
The more shade, the more SHB,

As for the ground, the SHB will fly into the hive, lay eggs. The eggs hatch and the larva destroy your hive and kill your bees. THEN they go to the ground to pupate. It's too late to control them then.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 11:12:34 pm »
And once on the ground they will crawl and crawl.

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 10:20:27 am »
Read some where that the larva crawled over 50 ft on concrete.

Course don't remember were I read that.

Great info., I know, no reference material at all.

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

anything