Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from Southwest Colorado  (Read 1866 times)

Offline DooBee

• New Bee
Hello from Southwest Colorado
« on: April 10, 2014, 12:21:41 pm »
I'm a newbee to this hobby.  Bees are to arrive on the 19th.  In the mean time I've been reading several books on the subject, attended our first bee club meeting and prepping/setting up my hive bodies (two packages coming).

I'm retired and needing a new hobby and this looked and sounded great.  My wife and I have an acreage with fruit trees, garden, flowers, etc.  Seriously considering starting about 3,000 sq/ft of lavender to add to the mix.
Looking forward to the 19th and learning much more about these miraculous critters.

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
Re: Hello from Southwest Colorado
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 01:13:30 pm »
Welcome to the forum DooBee.

Offline Spear

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 04:00:58 pm »
Welcome! Bees are a great hobby to have and you learn something new every day!

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 04:18:00 pm »
Welcome to the forum and bee keeping.  :cheer:

Does your club have a mentoring program? If so, they should be able to readily answer any questions that might be of a local nature. I suggest you change your profile's location to Southwest Colorado so we do not give you answers that are out of your time zone i.e. Australia.   Remember to feed 1;1 to the new instillation including pollen patties if you do not have pollen coming in yet.  Good Luck    -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline Ryan820

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 07:20:41 pm »
Hi doobee!  Funny that your name is doobee and you're in Colorado 😜. I'm new to the forum too and I live near Denver. Where did you get your bees?  I ordered from Apis. Ours come the 26th. Where abouts in Colorado are you?  Adding lavender or Russian sage is a good idea. Those that we have here are gorged upon by bees every year. Sadly, they don't bloom until mid summer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline drlonzo

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 12:16:51 am »
Welcome to the forum, and to Bee Keeping !  Lots of great info on here and lots of people with plenty of great talent with bees.  As has been said in the past when asking questions:  The only stupid question is the one that is never ask.  So don't be afraid to ask anything and someone will help ya out.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 02:44:43 am »
Welcome to the forum, Doo bee.     Like the name.

Joe

Offline DooBee

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 01:45:28 pm »
I purchased my bees through the local IFA...Italians.  Fruit trees are starting to bloom here and a few dandelions are popping up.  Just installed electric fence around the hives yesterday, now just waiting on the packages of bees.