Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive Placement - Sun or Shade?  (Read 12178 times)

Offline MagicValley

• House Bee
  • We who are about to bee stung, Salute You!
    • Fresh Beef jerky, shipped anywhere.
Hive Placement - Sun or Shade?
« on: June 18, 2010, 01:34:58 pm »
I think I might have put my hive in a spot that gets too much shade.

What are the best practices in regards to this?  Does it depend on the local climate?

If I need to move my hive to a spot with more sun, what is the best way to do that without too many bees getting lost?

Greg

Offline Fannbee

• House Bee
Re: Hive Placement - Sun or Shade?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 03:42:36 pm »
In Mississippi most hives are placed in full sun due to the SHB. 
Chuck and Fran

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 05:04:17 pm »
Most of mine are in mostly shade.   It is just easier on me to work them.

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 06:01:23 pm »
I moved mine from 80% shade to 80% sun this year.  Of the two hives I had at my home that were 80% shade one developed hive beetles.  I found a 4 inch patch of the larva between two frames.  I killed the larva froze the frames, reduced the hive size from 2 deeps to one and moved them to full sun.  They rebounded beautifully back into two deeps and are now pulling two supers of honey so far.  I do give them upper and lower entrances as well as SBB's to allow them to cool off more easily.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline riverrat

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 07:20:21 pm »
Ideally you want the hive to recieve morning sun  afternoon shade and evening sun. The theory is they will start foraging earlier and stay out later. However since we got the shb in kansas all my hives get about 80 percent sunshine.
never take the top off a hive on a day that you wouldn't want the roof taken off your house

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 07:25:05 pm »
I always thought that SHB was a southern pest and did not do well up north. Are they everywhere?

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline fish_stix

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 09:31:24 pm »
I hope all of them in FL move north and give somebody else a shot at them! Just as an aside, all you southern guys, do not leave supers out for the bees to clean up after extracting. Just a few hours is all it takes to start a major beetle farming operation in your stored supers! Don't ask how I know this!   :-x

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 09:37:22 pm »
I keep mine in full sun...sure seems to help. It's so bad here we have to make sure to extract honey within hours of pulling it. When I first started keeping bees it was common practice to pull supers and stack them for several days during extraction. Try that now and you'd have slimy honey.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 09:40:32 pm »
As the bees are cleaning out extracted supers and you start to see the beetles putting up mailboxes, at dark, throw the supers in the freezer and kill those boogers.   You will then have your own beetle trap operation going.  A day in the sun then a couple in the freezer.  Over a few days, or weeks, you should be able to kill out a lot of beetles.

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2010, 10:05:58 pm »
Combination of sun and shade.  Morning sun, then mid day shade, and then later in the day they get more sun.
"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.

Offline bens

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2010, 10:16:43 pm »
I always thought that SHB was a southern pest and did not do well up north. Are they everywhere?

I have 1 hive in full sun and 3 in full shade, the 3 in full shade get hive beetles every year, I live in northwestern Ohio.  Although I've never had the beetles ruin a hive, the bees seem to keep them in check.  I have a beetle trap on 2 of the hives, but I rarely check it.    I think I will try moving them to the sun and see if that helps.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2010, 10:24:36 pm »
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline MagicValley

• House Bee
  • We who are about to bee stung, Salute You!
    • Fresh Beef jerky, shipped anywhere.
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2010, 09:10:52 am »
Thanks for all the advice.  I haven't seen any SHBs yet. 

The spot the hive is at now, gets sun for about 1/2 hour at sunrise, then is shaded most of the day, then is in good sun for about 2 hours before sunset.

This morning it was 50F before sunrise.

When is the right time to remove the covering board under the screened bottom?  The board under my hive's screen has has lots of dropped pollen and flakes of wax.

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2010, 09:41:29 am »
I don't have boards underneath, even during the winter.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline riverrat

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2010, 11:05:37 am »
Thanks for all the advice.  I haven't seen any SHBs yet. 

The spot the hive is at now, gets sun for about 1/2 hour at sunrise, then is shaded most of the day, then is in good sun for about 2 hours before sunset.

This morning it was 50F before sunrise.

When is the right time to remove the covering board under the screened bottom?  The board under my hive's screen has has lots of dropped pollen and flakes of wax.

I remove my im early spring and replace in late fall. I have some hives I leave open year around
never take the top off a hive on a day that you wouldn't want the roof taken off your house

Offline gb

• Brood
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2014, 07:09:15 pm »
any in oklahoma have any ideals thanks

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2014, 11:06:40 pm »
gb, welcome to the forum. suggestion; update your profile to include your location. Most bee questions are location specific.

I put mine in the direct sunlight for at least  80% of the day to keep SHB away/down.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.