Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Laying Worker Hive is Back in Business  (Read 2543 times)

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
Laying Worker Hive is Back in Business
« on: June 18, 2009, 09:52:28 pm »
One of our packages went queenless and then laying worker.  I was about to shake it out when Robo and Irwin suggested I use a special cage that Robo built to introduce queens.  Well, it worked for Irwin, and today I learned that it worked for me too.  It did not quite work out as planned.  The cage was in there for three weeks, but when I opened the hive a couple of days ago, all the attendants were dead and the queen was just running around inside the cage frame. To get her out, I had to remove the screen and shake her into the hive.  I was worried about, but I do not have a lot time to wait on her.  My worker force is declining daily.  So today, I did an inspection and on the last frame (#10) I found a few bees about the size of a coffee cup diameter acting differently.  I stared longer and found the queen and watched her lay in a few cells.  I put it away happy that this worked and hopeful for its future.

I do have one question, however, should I be feeding now?  They have the equivalent of one full frame of honey but it is scattered about on several frames. 

Thanks to Robo and to Irwin for your help. 
Brian

Offline donm

• New Bee
Re: Laying Worker Hive is Back in Business
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 10:09:14 pm »
I would feed 1:1 until they can build up the numbers.  Preferably not an entrance feeder.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 08:38:28 am »
>They have the equivalent of one full frame of honey but it is scattered about on several frames. 

Feed --- also some pollen supplement would probably help too if you have none coming in or stored in comb.
John 3:16

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 10:25:22 am »
I'm glad it worked out for you :-D
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

anything