Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: drawing comb on the second deep w/o feed  (Read 1635 times)

Offline adamant

• House Bee
drawing comb on the second deep w/o feed
« on: July 07, 2013, 12:27:05 pm »
will I have success drawing comb using plastic foundation on the second deep this late in the season without feeding ?

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: drawing comb on the second deep w/o feed
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 06:04:29 am »
If your hive is packed with bees, they will build comb.  If your sparse in the bee department, they will not.
My bees always prefer to build on the normal sized pierco plastic foundation as opposed to the small cell stuff.  Assuming your bottom box is packed with bees, I would do some re-arranging to encourage them to work both boxes (and not swarm).  Move 2 or 3 frames of brood up, and replace those with your new plastic frames.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 10:08:09 am »
why dont you just feed them?   Robbing shouldn't happen at this time of the year with so much forage out there.  It will make things move along much faster to just feed until they get 7 or 8 frames drawn up above.  As for Blueboys comment I would say dont break up your brood nest.  
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 12:07:55 pm by danno »

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 11:10:11 am »
feeding in July makes better honey yield.

Language barrier NOT included

Offline Jackam

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 03:10:20 am »
This feeding thing has me confused!

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 06:03:40 am »
This feeding thing has me confused!

Better be.

Bees get in summer enough food from nature. Most important is pollen because small colony can rear new brood.

Sugar has only energy. It has no stimulating meaning in a small hive. It only blocks the valubale cells.
Summer itself inspire the bees that they go all the time on their upper limits.

"they draw fast foundations" has no meaning because brood cycle is long. It is better to count as 4 weeks that it has meaning.

In Britain they are mad. They feed the whole winter and disturb the winter sleep.
They think that if they feed 3-fold more expencive sugar to bees, hives are much more better than with usual sugar.

7 years I have written in this from that don't feed you package bees for stimulation. It helps nothing.
Yes, there is a barrier in undestanding.

I started nucs at the second half of May. They had a queen and 3 frames. Now some of those hives have 5 boxes and they have 2-3 medium boxes full of honey.

I know how to handle bees. That is not a point.

Language barrier NOT included

anything