Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 'Soft' inner covers ?  (Read 2492 times)

Offline little john

• Super Bee
'Soft' inner covers ?
« on: May 28, 2015, 04:07:46 am »

I've been using hard inner covers (Crown Boards) for years, and am now thinking of changing over to soft inner covers (thick plastic sheet, feed sacks etc) - as it's one less bit of woodware to make.
At the moment I'm trialling just the one hive with a plastic sheet - which lies flush on the bars, as that hive is bottom bee-space. It's looking good so far, although I'll be happier when some propolis is attached, as at the moment when the roof is off, the plastic sheet slides around a bit and flaps if there's any breeze unless there are weights on it.

What's the story when using such materials with top bee-space boxes, as there'll then be some 'droop' between box side and top bars ? And, does anyone have any tips or tricks when using such materials ?

LJ
A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: 'Soft' inner covers ?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 10:59:23 pm »
Just use them.  They will rest on the top bars and be propolized.  Peel them back when you want to get into the hive.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 04:43:39 pm »
Thanks Michael - yes, I'll do just that.

As regard to suitable materials for 'soft' inner covers - perhaps the 'greenest' I've yet found are old, worn-out yachting sails. These are invariably made from polyester (Dacron, Terylene) with a resin coating on both sides, although some now include Mylar and Kevlar in their construction.

Yachties have a big disposal problem with old or damaged sails as it's usually not economical to repair or re-cut them, and the material is generally not considered suitable for re-cycling. Although a few are turned into rather weird shopping bags from time to time, the vast majority end up either being burnt (with some difficulty) or go straight into landfill.

So - re-cycle old freebie sails for beekeeping use - a win-win for all concerned. :smile:

LJ
A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 10:08:18 am »
Canvas works.  Old plastic "burlap" feed (not seed) bags work.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything