Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What should I do with this equipment?  (Read 1442 times)

Offline crane

• New Bee
What should I do with this equipment?
« on: September 26, 2013, 09:30:26 pm »
I fooled around and lost one of my hives. Spent some time in hospital and had to be out of town for a bit.
Anyway when I finally got back to my hive it was vacant. Got a pretty bad case of wax moths and there are quite a few larva casings. I used moth crystals to kill the remaining larva .
 I was told by a friend that I should now burn the equipment ( 1 deep and a medium) as well as the frames that were in the hive.
Is that the case? I mean it won't break me to replace them, I am just curious if that is the only alternative I have?
 I still have 2 hives and will expand next spring. Just wondering if I have lost 2 boxes and 20 frames?

Offline Sour Kraut

• House Bee
Re: What should I do with this equipment?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 09:44:08 pm »
No, you do NOT have to burn it because of Wax Moth.

Clean it up, new foundation, and re-use.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 09:47:02 pm »
Crane,
Wax moths are a by product of something else gone wrong. Someone else with a lot more experience could probably give better advice than I. Are there any "remains" in the comb? Look up the symptoms of the different brood diseases and also nosema. It could be as simple as they swarmed a couple times too many and became weak. Or it could be something as bad as AFB that would require more a serious approach.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline rwlaw

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 09:55:45 pm »
Scrape em down & give em back to the bees. They'll seal up any damage with propolis,
Can't ever say that bk'n ain't a learning experience!

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 03:34:42 am »
No you don't have to burn them. Depends on the damage as too how much is salvageable. Salvage what you can and reuse it. ex. wood frame and replace foundation if too many webs and cocoons and if the wax moth did not cut the frames too much. Depends on the amount of damage, type of frame etc as to what is salvageable.

But again, you do not have to burn the frames and hive as in foulbrood. Just be careful of transferring wax moth eggs to another hive. A strong hive can usually handle it but a trip to the freezer will kill the eggs on the frames.
John 3:16

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 09:07:03 am »
There is only one reason to burn equipment.  AFB.  Scrape the webs and cocoons off and reuse.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything