Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: hot hive in summer and use of mosquito netting  (Read 2799 times)

Offline Michael Judd

• New Bee
hot hive in summer and use of mosquito netting
« on: July 10, 2009, 09:17:50 am »
Can any one help, Please.
An old beekeeper came by and suggested one of my hives maybe a bit hot  (A large group of bees about 50 or so on front porch).
He suggested cracking open the top cover and then enclosing that area in mosquito netting.

I was wondering as to how actually I could fix this and allow me to open and inspect and at the same time allow a bit of air to run through the hive.

I have actually obtained some lolly pop sticks (following another thread here) to put at each corner of the top deep and the top cover to allow air through but not bees.  I thought this was enough.

The current conditions are between 25 and 31 deg and quite dry and sometimes with a dry wind.

Thank you
Michael

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: hot hive in summer and use of mosquito netting
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 11:12:54 am »
bearding is normal when the temps get hot.  my hives sit in 32 to 38 degree in the summer and they are fine.  if it is hot, i do as you have done, and prop the top open just a bit.  i do not think you need the netting.  if the bees come and go through the top, it does not matter.  the only time it would be a problem is if other bees are trying to rob that hive. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline NasalSponge

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 05:48:40 pm »
It is currently 39 C (103 F) here and my girls are fine.

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 06:11:59 pm »
Are you guys (and gals) using solid bottom boards or screened ones?

Mick

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 06:21:38 pm »
What about placing the inner cover on top (screened in of course) and then you can prop up the telescoping cover or any cover as you like.   Why you could even place a few bricks on top of the inner cover and then place the top cover on top of that.  Lots of good ventilation then. I just did that with a little nuc I had last week that had only a regular bottom board and I was worried about ventilation in this heat we had. It completely stopped the bearding.

I use the honeyrunapriaries ventilated top cover.  No bearding at all.

And I use SBB all season long.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 06:43:19 pm »
screened, but i put the insert in for winter.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline NasalSponge

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 10:19:53 pm »
SBB 8-)

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 11:06:37 pm »
Can any one help, Please.
An old beekeeper came by and suggested one of my hives maybe a bit hot  (a large group of bees about 50 or so on front porch).
He suggested cracking open the top cover and then enclosing that area in mosquito netting.

I was wondering as to how actually I could fix this and allow me to open and inspect and at the same time allow a bit of air to run through the hive.

I have actually obtained some lolly pop sticks (following another thread here) to put at each corner of the top deep and the top cover to allow air through but not bees.  I thought this was enough.

The current conditions are between 25 and 31 deg and quite dry and sometimes with a dry wind.

Thank you
Michael

Hi Michael, We have inter covers and we staple screen over the holes to keep beetles and robbers out,then we turn the outer covers sideways and lay two boards and a PC. of plywood on top for shade. If you don't screen the inter cover hole the guards can't keep beetles and robbers out.
Acts2:37: Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38: Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39: For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40: And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation

Offline Michael Judd

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009, 04:54:12 am »
Hi every one,
Thank you for your responses.
I think I was being a little alarmist - so sorry.
Of course the ambient temperature is not a problem but an amount of ventilation seems to be required.

However I did invert  the metal top cover to allow more ventilation and this seems to be the answer ( I had already put V small pieces of wood between the deeps and also the top. My babies seem to be OK with this.

BTW I am using a solid bottom board.  And I am looking into using a slatted one as well. I suppose the problem of installing it will be quite awesome.

It is also interesting to note that my old bee man (as in, retired - as he could not do wine and bees)  who came to see me ( Actually he  was delivering to me some supplies) said on that day "don't go into the hives today" as there was thundery activity in the area. I have read the threads on thunder and bees. But I found it interesting as that days thunder was a long way away in the mountains and was in no way in my area.  So much so that we never heard a thunder clap. But it was heavy and cloudy in the distance.
Thank you all for you input
Michael

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 08:28:09 am »
 Here in Florida afternoon thunderstorms are a regular occurrence. The only time I won't work them is if the lightening is too close for my comfort. If there is much difference in the bees attitude, I haven't noticed it. I know that a drop in the barometric pressure is supposed to agitate them, but by that time the lightening is too close for me.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2009, 07:15:44 pm »
Hi every one,
Thank you for your responses.
I think I was being a little alarmist - so sorry.
Of course the ambient temperature is not a problem but an amount of ventilation seems to be required.

However I did invert  the metal top cover to allow more ventilation and this seems to be the answer ( I had already put V small pieces of wood between the deeps and also the top. My babies seem to be OK with this.

BTW I am using a solid bottom board.  And I am looking into using a slatted one as well. I suppose the problem of installing it will be quite awesome.

It is also interesting to note that my old bee man (as in, retired - as he could not do wine and bees)  who came to see me ( Actually he  was delivering to me some supplies) said on that day "don't go into the hives today" as there was thundery activity in the area. I have read the threads on thunder and bees. But I found it interesting as that days thunder was a long way away in the mountains and was in no way in my area.  So much so that we never heard a thunder clap. But it was heavy and cloudy in the distance.
Thank you all for you input
Michael

Michael,Screened bottoms are very good for vent.I don't worry about my bees getting a little mean,i got good old girls to start with and they don't get very mean.
Acts2:37: Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38: Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39: For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40: And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2009, 10:43:57 pm »
Michael I am using a slatted rack and a screened bottom board on all of my lang hives and it is working quite well for me.
We have had everything from weeks on end of rain to very humid conditions and then those random very hot days and the bees are coping with all of it very well.
I like the amount of ventilation the combination gives me as well as the extra space the slatted rack offers for the colony to cluster in as their numbers grow.
Its extremely simple to install, you just put the slatted rack on top of the screened bottom board, no issue at all.

anything