Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bitter Cold  (Read 9846 times)

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
Re: Bitter Cold
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2013, 09:45:09 pm »
rgy digs, were just wondering if you have an extra bedroom down there?
Just wanted to add that your now in Weaver country son!

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2013, 09:53:15 pm »
rgy, you been down to Greenville Ave Yet?

Offline rgy

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2013, 10:08:06 pm »

Yes we were down there in Aug. when the company sent us down to try and find a house.  We looked at some houses there on the M streets.  Neat area but we have found it will be to much of a commute back to  the Allen office even going against traffic for the most part.  

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2013, 10:32:44 pm »
Wonder what happened to Danno? I would sure hate to lose power in this weather! He's probably building a fire in the middle of the living room by now. :-D

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2013, 11:29:29 pm »
No they don't work tulip trees we have but my 3 satsuma trees do great here :-D
Bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2013, 01:38:37 am »
Rgy, this past summer was as miserably hot in Michigan as it is living in the south.  We are only going to get to gloat if we have a normal mild summer next year.  

Along with mild summers, the other thing I really like about Michigan is so much less traffic (unless you’re commuting into Metro Detroit).  I sure don’t miss the traffic of Florida.  

What’s the price of housing down there compared to up here?

BTW....we just ticked down to a goose egg here.  0F  :laugh:

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2013, 09:05:11 am »
Wonder what happened to Danno? I would sure hate to lose power in this weather! He's probably building a fire in the middle of the living room by now. :-D
Im back.  Lucky for me I built my home 8 years ago.  R 19 walls and about R 70 in the roof. Everything was caulked and foamed tight.  We were without power for 2 hrs.  High wind and 1 deg and the house didn't drop single deg.  We only got about 6 inch but its drifted bad.   Plow truck are trying but if just drift back in behind them.  Schools are all closed

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2013, 09:14:17 am »
22 below zero (F) this am but at least the wind has calmed a bit.

We were in the UP a month ago (Silver City) for a quick get away.  We actually looked at a couple houses for sale just for kicks.  One in particular stands out but also reflects an ongoing trend in the UP, and elsewhere. 

A 2 story 3 bdrm 2 bath w/ attached 2 car garage built in the 50's for 13K! (you can't build a basic garage for that these days)  It was a block away from the Big Lake Superior.  I should mention there's no work, except during tourist season.
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline rgy

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2013, 09:19:22 am »
bluebee, I thought last summer was great, lake MI was warm and we used the boat a lot.  being right on the lake though keeps us colder in summer ad warmer in winter.

housing is cheaper per sq. foot but every thing is bigger in TX!!  4-5000 sq feet, 5 bedrooms 4.5 baths, two living, two dining, media room, game room is the norm so total price is same.  Hard to find a 3 bed 3 bath 3000 sq foot house.  We don't need nor want more than 3k.

traffic is bad!!

friend in Kalamazoo just txted me a pic of his car thermometer  -9 at 8:02 a.m.!!  man I don't miss that.

wooden ware on order, bees on order, and I met a rancher that thinks he has a place for me to put the hives! going to be close to 70 this week so things can't get much better

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2013, 10:18:31 am »
rgy, yes everything is bigger in Texas, as you will discover. You'll have to get yourself a pair of snakeskin boots and a hat so you fit in. Don't want to be called one of those "Northerners"
Where are you getting your bees from?

Offline aridostlari.com

• New Bee
  • www.aridostlari.com
    • www.aridostlari.com
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2013, 10:36:57 am »
in the words of a famous scientist beekeeping pitch dark hair flows in the flow of milk to be thin enough to notice that the error did not do a thorough job hopefully turn mede
KAFKAS ANA ARI. ANADOLU YERLİSİ. --- DAMIZLIK ANA ARI NASIL ÜRETİLİR? -. İTALİEN ANA ANA arı satışımız Nisan ayında başlar,Ekim ayına kadar devam. Ana arı satışı için için önceden aldığmız listeye göre satışlarımızı yapmaktayız. Ana arı satışında Petek,petek ve arıcılık втором imalat ve satışı yapmaktadır. ...

Offline lazy shooter

• House Bee
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2013, 11:52:26 am »
It was 70 degrees F yesterday in De Leon, Texas.  That's in shallow West Texas.  My neighbor brought over barbeque that he had cooked all afternoon.  He too, was wearing shorts.  But, as posted above, we will have 60 or so consecutive days of 100 degree temps this summer.  it's a trade-off. 

I agree with one of my old pals, "we can take off enough clothes to survive the heat, but it is difficult to put on enough clothes to survive severe cold temps."

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2013, 12:05:33 pm »
I’ve got to do some insulation retro fitting of my place here in Michigan to get the fuel costs down.  My bees are better insulated than I am!  I’ve only got R13 walls at best.   I think the new building code in my city is R19 for walls these days, but I don’t know for sure.  I'm sure glad I don't have to heat or cool 5000 sq feet!

Looks like we’re going to have a mini warm up this weekend and get above freezing.  It will be a good time to check on the damage.      

Offline Polish_beekeeper

• New Bee
    • www.gorskie-miody.pl
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2013, 12:08:46 pm »
In Poland now is -6 Celsius and snowy. Beautifully winter ;)

Offline TNTBEES

• New Bee
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2013, 12:14:00 pm »
T Beek- we had 18 deg. the other day and I had about 50 bees between three hives commit suicide. I found a couple that were 60 yards from the hives before they collapsed. Makes you wonder what they were thinking and where they thought they were going. Had several making cleansing flights yesterday at 28 deg.

Offline rgy

• House Bee
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2013, 12:17:23 pm »
tefer, I ordered nucs from John Talber of Sabine creek honey farm, he was at the Collin county bee club meeting and also came highly recommended from a commercial beek I met.

ordered wooden ware from Betterbee even though it is more expensive and I have to pay shipping, I just like it better.  Dadant has a store just north of here that most people go to and pick up.  Got a gallon of grey paint from HD yesterday for 5 bucks as a miss mix.

Tester, do you know the beek in Galesburg that raises queens?  I think he gave a talk tot he collin county bee club last yr.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2013, 01:28:41 pm »
I’ve got to do some insulation retro fitting of my place here in Michigan to get the fuel costs down.  My bees are better insulated than I am!  I’ve only got R13 walls at best.   I think the new building code in my city is R19 for walls these days, but I don’t know for sure.  I'm sure glad I don't have to heat or cool 5000 sq feet!

Looks like we’re going to have a mini warm up this weekend and get above freezing.  It will be a good time to check on the damage.      

The building code in michigan has been R21 in walls and R49 in roofs for a few years now.  Thats new contruction.  You need 2X6 framing to use fiberglass + foam to get this.  You can get a R value in the 20s with foam but sheet foam is hard to cut exact.  Spray in foam is the best and tightest but  in a old home it would require demo inside walls and re-drywalling.  Your best and cheapest saving are windows and roof

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2013, 11:30:24 pm »
Danno, I would concur you are right after doing some checking.  So they upped the code after you built?   Isn’t R19 walls typically just 2x6 studs with fiberglass matt?   How do you get to R21?  2x6s + ½” of exterior foam sheathing?     

Unfortunately I have 2x4 walls and the interior walls in the home are in too good of shape to rip out.  I was thinking of removing the siding and adding foam and putting the siding back on.  Maybe I’m mistaken again, but if I do anything more than “repair” an old job, don’t I have to bring the change up to the latest code of R21?  That would effectively require 2” thick foam sheathing to bring those walls up to R21.  Then you get into some mechanical fastening concerns when residing the thing.  (Windows are good double panes, the roof is cellulose, but needs more)

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2013, 11:37:19 pm »
A 2 story 3 bdrm 2 bath w/ attached 2 car garage built in the 50's for 13K! (you can't build a basic garage for that these days)  It was a block away from the Big Lake Superior.  I should mention there's no work, except during tourist season.

Isn't it utterly amazing that people will drop a million dollars in a heart beat for a place close to the water all around Florida while you can live a block from the Big Lake for only 13K!  Heck if I wasn't tapped out, I would buy that place T Beek.  I would love a nice little retreat on Lake Superior.  As you say, you couldn't even put in a dang new driveway for 13K! 

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2013, 12:15:52 am »
LOL..  would you believe there was a guy out harvesting corn here today!  It got up to about 8F for a high.

anything