Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Where does a lost bee go?  (Read 2365 times)

Offline contactme_11

• House Bee
Where does a lost bee go?
« on: August 21, 2008, 07:57:02 pm »
Today as I left my house there was two honey bee stow-aways in the cab of my truck. I drove probably about twenty miles before I noticed them. I rolled down my window and away they flew. The question that arose to me however, was what happens to lost bees like this? I know if they were dumped in front of a hive they would join it. But when they are completely displaced do you think they just fly around aimlessly looking for a hive? Or do they just die?

Offline WhipCityBeeMan

• House Bee
Re: Where does a lost bee go?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 10:50:33 am »
That explains it. 

2 bees stopped by my bee yard this morning wishing to join my hives here in Westfield.....

Seriously, no idea.  I would presume they would die without access to a food supply.
Sola Scripture - Sola Fide - Sola Gracia - Solus Christus - Soli Deo Gloria

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 06:07:49 pm »
I would presume they would die without access to a food supply.

I would have to agree.  Maybe once in a while, if a lost bee found a colony, she would be allowed into a new hive if she was carrying pollen or nectar.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 06:11:02 pm »
If it has food and nectar it is easier to get accepted into a new home. If it does not it can be more difficult.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Card

• House Bee
  • Ken
    • Wikipedia Photo Gallery
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 09:17:02 pm »
The Island of Misfit Honeybees. 8-)
"You will come to learn a great deal if you study the insignificant in depth." - Buckaroo Banzai

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 09:43:05 pm »
Today as I left my house there was two honey bee stow-aways in the cab of my truck. I drove probably about twenty miles before I noticed them. I rolled down my window and away they flew. The question that arose to me however, was what happens to lost bees like this? I know if they were dumped in front of a hive they would join it. But when they are completely displaced do you think they just fly around aimlessly looking for a hive? Or do they just die?

Bee heaven.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 09:55:59 pm »
They have an awesome sense of smell.  They will fly until they smell a hive and then humbly approach the guards and be admitted.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 01:24:22 am »
They have an awesome sense of smell.  They will fly until they smell a hive and then humbly approach the guards and be admitted.

Bees and homing pigeons use the same methods of finding home.  Sight (landmarks), smell (wind currents), sun ray angle, and magnetic fields of the earth.  Pigeons can find their way home from over 1000 miles, bees can do from a mile or so.  Don't believe me, mark some bees and have someone let them go a mile or so away--they'll be home before night fall.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

anything