Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: In Western Australia, when is it a good time to...?  (Read 3506 times)

Offline azzkell

• House Bee
In Western Australia, when is it a good time to...?
« on: May 27, 2015, 09:48:09 pm »
Hi oz. Im located in Perth and was wondering when is a good time to start more hives. It is winter now, so was thinking Aug. Currently have 2 hives that were started in Jan from nucleus colonies. Will most probably get nuc colonies again. Appreciate any thoughts on this and any other timeline information for W.A.
Cheers
Aaron

Offline hollie

• New Bee
Re: In Western Australia, when is it a good time to...?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 07:51:55 am »
Hi there!  Haven't been on line much lately so missed your post earlier. I'm in the SW, inland from Bunbury but used to live in Perth.. I'm not an experienced beek but here are my thoughts.   
Are you intending to make new hives from your current ones?  If so, I'd make sure there were enough pollen producing plants flowering and there was a nectar flow so the hive was bringing in good supplies; otherwise you might find the loss of workers as well as insufficient supplies caused loss of your main hive.  I'd only divide if the hive was a strong one too: I'd wait until I was sure she was laying well and I can see brood at different stages of development.  That means an increase in daylight hours and warmer temperatures.
You'd be taking out brood and honey so I'd want plenty on board.
Down here I'd wait until October I think, but perhaps wait until September is well advanced and temperatures have become steadily higher.  And rain is less frequent.
Will you allow the colony to re-queen itself or buy and introduce a new queen to the nucleus?
Do you have a number of hives? Can you take a frame from each hive to build the new one?
I hope these thoughts have helped. I know I haven't answered you exactly, but my guess would be, wait until late September in Perth.
Cheers  - Hollie

Offline hollie

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 08:00:03 am »
Sorry!  I see you started from nucs in January and have 2 hives..... so much for my questions :oops:
As you have nucs from January, I'd wait until much later in the season!  Late January /Early February, during the flow.  Unless they are really strong earlier.
I'd give my nucs a year to get going and adjust the space to stop swarming that first year.  And I could then take some honey.
If these are your first hives, from my own experiences there is so much that can go wrong!  Have you a mentor / another beekeeper nearby who can help/advise?
Cheers
Hollie

Offline azzkell

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 09:50:44 pm »
Thanks for the advice Hollie. Have not done a split before so a little nervous about it. More likely to use a nuc again as I would like to harvest some honey this summer. My hive in Port Kennedy doing very well from what I can tell. Have pulled a single frame 3 times during winter, plenty of bloom from various gardens I guess.
Have attended a few waas meetings, got good info,lots of reading and chats.
cheers,
Aaron

Offline turbo

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 10:02:10 am »
Hi
We are in Jarrahdale and still get the occasional frost late September.  I don't think we will be doing anything with our hives till Oct unless I see any signs of swarming.
I am a newbie - started in 2013 with 1 hive and got 5 swarms last year which we requeened - so now we have 6 hives ...... and I was only after one to help with pollination of the vegie patch  :cheesy:

Offline azzkell

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 11:00:58 am »
Hi turbo. Wow you are doing well then. I only started in this year and plan to have around 10 hives.
You should do well in Jarrahdale, would love to live out there.
Hope to catch some swarms myself but spending the next 3mths away for work :cry:
Did you use a lure or just called out to collect the swarms. Bet the veggies are doing well.

Offline turbo

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 08:27:35 pm »
We were surprised how well they went. We took a full honey super off each hive twice (feb and March) and then they also had a full super to go into winter with. We are surrounded by state forest so we got the Jarrah flow then the Redgum.

We pretty much get rung up about the swarms. We don't advertise.  Once your friends know you are into bees it seems that we just get called that way. They weren't always easy though. 2 were in bird boxes up 4metres in a tree! Learnt a lot the first year. Mostly what not to do! And don't believe when people tell you that if you just block the little opening in the bird box and then all the bees will be trapped inside- not true- there are always cracks they get out of!!!!!

The bees have made a massive difference in the fruit trees but by far the biggest difference is in the Passionfruit. They are now massive, full of pulp and heaps of them.

Offline azzkell

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 06:43:52 am »
We had a pest control guy come around for a inspection and he wanted my number to call for when he gets a job to remove a swarm so that will be good.
Bees love the passonfruit flowers. Are you on a  rural block?  If so what would be the chances of putting a single hive on it. Probably not until mid/late December.
I have purchased an extractor so you could make use of it as a sweetner lol.