Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New Eastern NC Beek  (Read 1674 times)

Offline hpm08161947

• New Bee
New Eastern NC Beek
« on: May 26, 2009, 11:15:34 am »
Hi,
  I live in rural eastern NC - right in the middle of blue berry land.  So I know a lot of beekeepers.
Since my retirement from 36 years of teaching school- I have been intrigued with the idea of adding
a coupla hives to add my heavy gardening activities.  So I attended a nice weekend "Bee School" - up in the mountains of NC and came back filled with enthusiasm.  Even though there were a number of beeks around here I soon found that it was a bit late in the season to get bees and most already had every hive they could get contracted to the blueberry fields, but after a coupla weeks of talking - one senior beek caled and told me that he had three hives ready for me (at the right price) - they were all one deep with a medium  super on top. 
   So this is where my first "Lesson" started.  Went tp pick them up and he took me about a mile in the woods to his bee yard and told me I'd have to help him load them - thought he'd give me a veil - but he had nothing.   So he screened them in and called me into the yard where we lifted them onto my pickup, where  I was prompltly stung five times.....figured I could handle that.  Well got them home about  dark and started to unload them (don't have veil yet) - first hive I pushed the top super askew and was attacked by a horde of angry bees. Headed to the house and wrapped up in temporary protection and back out to unload the other 2 hives - each time I let loose a horde.
I just could not seem to keep from moving the top super askew (The boxes were very heavy
and unweldy).  Well to make a long story short - I wound up with about 35 stings
which swoll and put me down for about 2 days - just now fully recovered.  I think I nearly had a dangerous number of  stings.  Didn't know these Buckfast bees would be so aggressive.
   I started out awfully stupidly - and would never try it this way again - each box should
have been strapped.  And I will never try to tackle these bees again without full protection
and smoke.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
Re: New Eastern NC Beek
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 11:28:37 am »
Seem's like you started out just right :) And welcome to the Beemaster form :)
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 04:20:23 pm »
Hello and Welcome hpm08161947
There is alot of great information on the forum !!
The members here are willing help and answer your questions, all you need to do is to ask

Johnny 

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 10:52:38 am »
hpm, welcome to our forum, so nice you found us.  What an introduction into the secret world of the honeybee, you very obviously have not been turned off, you are held now under their spell.  Wow, that was alot of stings, good that you weren't highly allergic.  You have already found out that this will be a place where you can tell your stories, tales, and experiences, you will make new friends.  STick around, we love new members and love to listen. Have a beautiful day, to love and live your life, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service