Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: opportunity knocks  (Read 4638 times)

Offline wayne

• House Bee
I was born about 100 years too early, or to late.

Offline vabeeguy

• New Bee
opportunity knocks
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 08:36:45 pm »
Too bad it's not in Virginia...that would help me build up the yard nicely.

IndianaBrown

opportunity knocks
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 10:34:07 pm »
Wow, how am I going to justify bidding on this to my wife? :lol:

Offline Hi-Tech

• Field Bee
    • talkhunting.com
opportunity knocks
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 10:48:54 pm »
I have found it is usually easier to get forgiveness than permission.. :wink:
Computer Tech, Beekeeper, Hunter = Hi-Tech Redneck
talkhunting.com

IndianaBrown

opportunity knocks
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2006, 11:47:54 am »
:lol: I agree Hi-Tech.  But after 11 years of marriage, and a recent house purchase... I would like stay married and keep living here.   :D

Actually, assuming no one else bids on it she is all for it, (aside from having to rent a truck for an 8 hour round trip.)  She is even giving me tips on using a sniping service for ebay.  (You know, the way you are mysteriously outbid during the last 6 seconds of an auction.)  

We have a few friends who are interested in getting started with beekeeping.  Also, while 2 hives is enough for my backyard, I may be able to put 4 to 6 hives on some property owned by our church.  That plus the extractor would be enough to make it worth it.  After that I would probably sell off about half of the leftover boxes.  

It is on my watch list.  We'll see...

Offline Hi-Tech

• Field Bee
    • talkhunting.com
opportunity knocks
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2006, 07:28:14 pm »
21 years of marriage (this October) has pretty much made us an old married couple so I sometimes forget to ask first and just pay the piper later.... My Dad gave me some advice years ago.... "Son," he said, "most men try to marry pretty girls, or rich girls or even girls that will wait on them hand and foot. That all fades over time. If you want to be truly happy, marry a forgiving woman."

He sure was right.... :wink:
Computer Tech, Beekeeper, Hunter = Hi-Tech Redneck
talkhunting.com

Offline Rabbitdog

• House Bee
opportunity knocks
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2006, 09:27:43 pm »
Run like the building is on fire. :!:
Does it sound suspicious to anyone that all of these boxes come without frames and comb???
"Born Po, Die Po" ........ just need to feed myself in between!

IndianaBrown

opportunity knocks
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2006, 11:12:37 pm »
I did notice that.  That is one of the reasons I have not decided if I want to go for it yet.  (The other main reason being that I need to figure out how to transport everything if I do happen to win the auction.)

I assume that he lost some or all of his bees and/or simply wants to retire.  I figured if he lost bees to mites or had trouble with wax moths I was not too worried about it.  I would feel better about getting bees on clean wax in new frames anyhow.  

If he lost bees to AFB however that is another story.  Hmm, I guess if I am serious about it I had better check into it.

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
opportunity knocks
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2006, 11:31:56 pm »
What I don't get is, how could anyone run that many hives on a two frame hand-cranked extractor.  Those only come in mannual reverse, as far as I'm aware.  Isn't there some sort of law about selling goods with known defects/dangers passed on to the consumer...(AFB?)

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
opportunity knocks
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2006, 11:53:03 pm »
I'm with Apis629.  No frames gives the suspicion of deceased bees.  Out of Business due to Dead Bees.  At the least every box should be handled with the worst expectation--dismantle and use a blow tourch on all surfaces.
I would request a certificate or notorized statement that they are disease free.  Some things are to good to be true--this might be one.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

IndianaBrown

opportunity knocks
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2006, 12:06:22 am »
Question for seller, sent through ebay:

May I ask why you are selling? Did you lose bees to mites or disease? Mites or wax moths are not a big concern for used equipment, but American Foul Brood is. Can you provide a state inspection reference please?

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
opportunity knocks
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2006, 01:12:27 am »
That's deffinately the smart thing to do, IndianaBrown.  But, at least for any beekeepers in Florida, we don't have to worry about diseased equipment.  For any hive in which AFB is identified, the hives are burned bottom board to outer cover (supers ,frames, queen excluders and all).

IndianaBrown

opportunity knocks
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2006, 08:43:14 am »
The reply:
Hello. Thank you for your interest in my bee equipment. I was a beekeeper for 14 years, and yes, over the years I have had a few issues with foulbrood despite my treating with antibiotics. I always tried to weed out the infected equipment to be destroyed. Most all of the equipment I am selling has not been out in the field for many years, and none of it includes comb or frames.
I'm selling out because I've lost interest in beekeeping. It seemed like it was getting to be a lot of work and just was not fun anymore. Getting older I guess. As far as a state insepction reference, I do not have one to give you.
Hope this helps.

Jim

Opinions?  Since I hope to not have to use chemicals I am inclined to pass on it.

Offline fcderosa

• House Bee
opportunity knocks
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2006, 11:06:51 am »
Well, I think that response throws red flags all over the place.  I think it’s called plausible deniability.  AFB’s bad stuff, doesn’t easily go away and he’s said he’s had it before.  Any odds are bad odds.  Not only would you stand to lose what you purchased but what you already have as well. :(
The good life is honey on a Ritz.

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
opportunity knocks
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2006, 01:09:30 pm »
Okay...he says he was a beekeeper for 14 years.  AFB can exist as spores for over 50 years and live to reinfect.  I'd pass on it given, if he were using the "chemicals" a.k.a. terramycin correctly, than it may be terramycin resistant.  This may be overcautious but, it's not a chance I'd like to take.

Offline Rabbitdog

• House Bee
opportunity knocks
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2006, 04:30:33 pm »
Like I said.....
RUN LIKE THE BUILDING'S ON FIRE :o
"Born Po, Die Po" ........ just need to feed myself in between!

IndianaBrown

opportunity knocks
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2006, 10:39:59 pm »
FYI, this ended up going for $700.  

I wonder if 'trunk_monkey' will split it up and sell it off.