Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: beginner in california  (Read 2482 times)

Offline swami.g

• Brood
    • http://talkingfrogyoga.com
beginner in california
« on: September 18, 2006, 09:19:08 pm »
greetings & namaste - my name is greg and i live in manhattan beach ca.
i own a house in Mckinleyville, Humboldt Co; CA. that my son lives in while going to school. I am very interested in starting the journey to beekeeping and honey production. does any one have any suggestions for kit's, etc?
when is the best time to start? how long does it take? thanks for the forum!

greg

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
beginner in california
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 09:32:51 pm »
Early spring is the best time to start. I am a newbie this year so I am not of the expertise you will find from many here.But browse and do a search for specific info . If you see Michael Bush's post be sure to click the link to his web site for a lot of good information.
www.beekeepersvoice.com has a good guide on the equipment needed for startup which is considerably different than what most supply houses want you to buy. Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
beginner in california
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 09:37:35 pm »
Brian d bray is also more than happy to answer most posts with a great insight to most problems.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
beginner in california
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 07:54:13 am »
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
beginner in california
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2006, 11:27:27 pm »
I do not recommend kits.  They give you equipment that is not needed and the price doesn't save you that much.  It is best to ask yourself what you want to accomplish you first year.  Obtain a good such as Beekeeping for Dummies as a reference.

Things to consider:
1. Starting with 2 or 3 hives is better because it you make a fatal mistake on one hive you're still in the game.  A single hive is not forgiving.
2. I recommend uniformity of equipment.  Having everything the same size solves a lot of problems.  Check out www.beekeepersvoice.com/articles/bray/  and then click on the article on uniformity.
3.  Buying multiples of equipment will save you more each purchase than you can get buying kits.  If the dealer offers a discount if you buy six medium supers over buying five the sixth is essentially free.  
4.  buy more than what you think you're going to need.  An extra heavy honey flow or athe opportunity to catch a swarm are serendipity that happens--it's best to be prepared for it.
5.  Find a Mentor,  www.beekeepersvoice.com/mentor may have a listing for one near you.
6.  Keep an open mind, think about the advice you're given, and don't be afraid to delve into new ideas.

That should get you started.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!