Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: new at this  (Read 1568 times)

Offline newyork bee

• New Bee
new at this
« on: April 14, 2014, 02:27:29 am »
Just getting into bee keeping with my son ..we are in NY about 60 miles north of NYC..  building 3 hives .....I was given 4 supers with frames ...the combs are dried out and were in a basement for years ,they smell musty ....they have plastic foundations ...should I scrape out the dried comb and wash the frames and foundations or do I need to replace the foundations ..we are new to this and could use any and all help thanks Pat

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: new at this
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 06:55:51 am »
Just getting into bee keeping with my son ..we are in NY about 60 miles north of NYC..  building 3 hives .....I was given 4 supers with frames ...the combs are dried out and were in a basement for years ,they smell musty ....they have plastic foundations ...should I scrape out the dried comb and wash the frames and foundations or do I need to replace the foundations ..we are new to this and could use any and all help thanks Pat
It sounds like you have new frames that were drawn out and used once. If they are pretty much intact I would use them and let the bees fix them. With three hives, how many boxes do you plan on having per hive. I would plan on having at least 3 boxes per hive.
Since you are starting out, I would recommend all medium boxes and 8 frame boxes. If you are still young and don't mind hefting 100 pound plus boxes, then you may want to use all deeps.
Right now you are hopelessly lost. Go into the profile tab and update your location to York, NY.
Good luck.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
Re: new at this
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 10:35:35 am »
Welcome to the forum, newyork bee.  You may want to join your local bee club also.  As Jim said you will bee some ahead to use the comb.  That is the reason some beeks quit doing comb honey, when you cut out the comb and the bees have to remake it, it takes them time.  During that time they could bee filling the comb with honey, when left.  Good luck to you and your bees.

Joe

anything