Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Why do they abscond?  (Read 2013 times)

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
Why do they abscond?
« on: December 06, 2005, 04:24:44 am »
I've been reading but other than desease and pests in established hives I haven't seen a reason for bees absconding.  It seems that captured swarms are more apt to pack up and leave within a day.   Do packages abscond also?  If they do, is it a high rate?  Higher than established hives?  Has anyone experimented on ways to try and keep them?  

I was thinking about using a top feeder with HBH and screening in the entrance.  I use SBB and was planning on 1/8" shims for venting the top if it's too warm outside.  Do you think this may reduce absconding swarms?

Thanks for reading.  I've learned to look at things a lot different here and to try and think outside of the box more than I normally try to do!!!  Thanks again!!!

David
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
Re: Why do they abscond?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 05:21:38 am »
Quote from: qa33010
Has anyone experimented on ways to try and keep them?  

I hope that you ask this:

I have wondered same thing, why swarm abandon the hive  if queen have even laid some eggs.

I have learned something:

* some bees are mad to swarm; when I have get it into deep, they rises on they wings at morning -- why, dont know? It is rare.

* I have put swarm in too hot place and I have feeded at once. Bees feel too tight and move away.

* I have read that there is no sence to feed swarm at once. They have 3 days food with them and let them consume that first.
* If they have foul brood spores in they honey stomach, it is better that they consume honey all and do not store it.

* Keeping swarm in dark  chilly place 24 hours calm the swarm and it stays better in the hive.

I have met situations when swarm collect so much honey during it's first week that space is full and swarm leave the hive again. When the room for eggs is full, bees goes away.

After rainy week swarm may have several queens (4-5) and it is difficult to catch them. Swarm may devide itself into several groups.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Why do they abscond?
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 08:19:17 am »
Finsky's speculation is similar to mine.  Who knows.  But a queen excluder on the bottom board for the first week or two can keep the queen in.  :)  I knew they were good for something...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything