Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Best Method of Shipping Queens  (Read 2344 times)

Offline larry tate

• New Bee
Best Method of Shipping Queens
« on: November 26, 2009, 10:23:10 pm »
I have used the priority envelopes and card board boxes. Tried to ship a battery box priority and couldnt due to not having room for the label. Will others elaborate on how they ship queens? What is the best glue to fasten wood cages to cardboard? Thanks

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Best Method of Shipping Queens
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 05:15:10 pm »
I only ship express mail and I punch holes around the edges of the 9 x 11 envelope, stamp them with "live queen bees" all over the place and put the JZBZ cages in the envelope.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: Best Method of Shipping Queens
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 08:34:08 pm »
Wilderness Apiary in Port Angeles, Wa uses a 5X7X1 inch single cost box when shipping from 1 to 12 queens, then goes to an slightly larger box as quantities increase.
It is important to give enough air space inside the box, and ventilate it.  A few 3/4 or 1" holes with window screen glued over them works wonders.  Thos postal boxes can be stiffened with tape on the edges too.  It is porbably to most cost effective way to ship queens, your shipping cost doesn't go up whether you ship 2 queens or 10 queens, only when you go to sufficient quantity to warrent a larger box.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

anything