Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Leg Stings  (Read 2209 times)

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
Leg Stings
« on: June 20, 2013, 08:51:58 pm »
I had the bright idea I would pull a few honey supers early this morning in shorts using no smoke. We have had rain and clouds all week and they were still pissy today. Did not take me long to retreat :shock: Got popped half a dozen times before I could even turn around good.

I take stings on the hands and lower arms fairly regular, usually with minimal swelling and just initial pain at the sting site. Man these leg stings, about  three, hurt and are swollen a good bit.  Never realized because it is a different sting site on the body you would react differently.

Yea I know I asked for it and the ladies (for lack of a better term) delivered  :evil: Never said I was the sharpest tack in the box but I really proved it today  ;)

« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 09:05:21 pm by sc-bee »
John 3:16

Offline splitrock

• House Bee
Re: Leg Stings
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 10:30:16 pm »
Oh man, that don't sound pretty.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 11:35:53 pm »
Yeap, depends on the day and the mood.  Good luck sc-bee
A couple of day ago was out about 30 ft from hives, had on shorts and T shirt, not messing with the bees.  A fellow I hadn't seen in a few years road by, stopped back up to where I was.  We talked for a little and a bee landed on my arm walked around and flew off.  In a minute came back landed on arm walked around some more.  then the third time landed on arm went up sleeve, it must have bumped her. Yeap she got me.

Joe

Offline Better.to.Bee.than.not

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 11:49:20 pm »
hope it isn't to bad for you. when I get stung after a day or two I'll sometimes itch, and I like running it under warm water. honestly feels so good to me I almost wish I was stung more often. lol.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 12:03:48 am »
The same thing has happened to most of us. I take stings to the hands and arms, on my face around my eyes and ears ant in 20 minutes I cannot tell where I was stung. I recently got stung on the lip, ear, eye and cheek in one attack, because I was in the hive too late in the evening and the clouds moved in, and my lips swelled up like balloons.
Put Benadryl and (not or, both of them) hydrocortisone creams on it and not only will it reduce the swelling but it seems to help reduce future swelling the next time you get stung in that area.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 12:15:47 am »
The same thing has happened to most of us. I take stings to the hands and arms, on my face around my eyes and ears ant in 20 minutes I cannot tell where I was stung. I recently got stung on the lip, ear, eye and cheek in one attack, because I was in the hive too late in the evening and the clouds moved in, and my lips swelled up like balloons.
Put Benadryl and (not or, both of them) hydrocortisone creams on it and not only will it reduce the swelling but it seems to help reduce future swelling the next time you get stung in that area.
Jim

I'll remember this. Multiple stings on various occasions. These have been different, think I got a full load. If there is only one bee in the yard it comes for me. Seem to be drawn my way. If you out there bud tell'um  :-D
John 3:16

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 08:29:57 am »
steve you one person in this world that  don't need to take chances wid bees. use smoke and mostly on yo self. I never saw a fella that those girls loved to tickle more.  20 people in front o you and they fly over and around just to tickle you   never saw the lie befor
to bee or not to bee

Offline Just5398

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 09:14:59 pm »
Oh man, day I know that feeling!

I got stung on the ankle when I was installing my nuc, it swelled a little but itched ten times worse than poison ivy. Sunday I got stung on my finger and my entire hand looked like a balloon by the next morning.  Swelled so badly I couldn't bend my finger.  Ended up going to the Dr.  He gave me prednisone which helped by the next morning.  I think I should get allergy tested.
Sally

Offline tjc1

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 11:31:31 pm »
Sally, that was me exactly - sting #1 on fingertip, a little swelling; sting #2 in the forearm, some swelling but hot and itched like mad for days; sting #3 on back of hand, hand like an inflated glove in the morning, and then the next morning it started down the arm - as it reached the elbow I called the doc and got that prednisone. I thought I was going to have to call it quits! This spring, a sting on top of the head brought a hard lump but no worse than that - I don't get how it works, seems variable, maybe related to number of stings over what period of time.

Offline JPinMO

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 11:47:09 pm »
SC, I took two "meanies" on Tuesday, one on the side of my first finger and one on the lower arm, just above the wrist. These stings have itched! (I'm a beginner, so I had only three stings under my belt before these two; I hardly reacted to the earlier stings)

I tried baking soda paste, meat tenderizer paste, taping a penny over them, taking Benadryl and ibuprofin, not much help from any of it! Ice helped, until I would take the cold pack off.

I finally resorted to soaking my hand/arm in an Epsom salt solution. That definitely helped reduce the inflammation for me.  
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters
cannot be trusted in large ones either."  Albert Einstein

Offline ggileau

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2013, 12:23:20 am »
"I finally resorted to soaking my hand/arm in an Epsom salt solution. That definitely helped reduce the inflammation for me."

Hmmm, Epsom salts for bee stings! I use that as a home remedy for a bunch of ailments, never thought to use it for bee stings. Lately when they sting me on the forearm I look like Popeye. Don't know why. On the face or neck it hardly bothers me.   
"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2013, 01:06:01 am »
I guess everyone is different. The only place that a sting really bothers me is on the hands. They swell purty good, to the point that I catch the devil working the hives. Took about 8 to the legs a few nights ago. I was working the hive at night and dropped a frame. I had on my jackt but that don't help with the crawlers. My reactions were about the same as a fire ant.
Later,
Ray

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2013, 05:56:26 am »
I have been pulling honey this weekend. A bunch of bees got crushed while returning a super to the hive and I took 5 stings to the hands on Saturday. Within 20 minutes, I could only tell that I took one of them on the back of my right hand and it was just an overall sore area and by evening that one was gone. Yesterday, I took 2 shot to my right fore arm. They both swelled up to 2" round red marks. I did have to add hydrocortisone on them and they cleared up by night fall. You never know how a sting will react. I do think I need the stings to stay healthy. Keeps me from having problems with my right shoulder. After years of problems, it cleared up after my first year as a beek. My second year I had almost no stings and the problem came back. My third year, with 14 hives by the of the year, I took lots of stings and it cleared up and has not come back.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin