Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello Everyone  (Read 5578 times)

Offline doak

• Super Bee
Hello Everyone
« on: August 10, 2008, 12:03:54 am »
I am still here.
I have been hiding from the heat.
The last swarm I got that came out of the wild hasn't done so well. I think it either died out or absconded.
The rest of my colonies have turned black, boxes covered from top to bottom.
I will be in touch with the people who contacted me about the colonies I had for sell either "early" fall or in the spring. I will have only 3, I want to keep 4.
I don't even know how much honey I'll get, if any.
As most of you remember, all but one swarmed and one of those swarmed 3 times and still made another colony and a lot of bees in all.

I had to quit watering the garden and it dried up. But not before we had one  picking of green beans.
Froze 7 quarts of tomatoes and had a couple helpings of collard greens.
I got to my peaches before the deer did, and oh yea, the onions. they made before I had to give up watering. Didn't want to pump my well dry.
Hope all is doing O.K.
Every one have one of those nice Cindi Days.
You to KathyP.
doak

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Hello Everyone
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 01:25:30 am »
:-)

always!

glad you are still around and got something out of your garden.  lots of work-you should have some reward.

i know about well issues.  one thing at a time for me, or the cut off switch kicks over and i'm out of luck for hours.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 08:05:50 am »
Glad to see you're still around, was curious, what happened with those great big cabbages?

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline EasternShore

• House Bee
  • Tending 50K angry insects is just .........crazy!
    • OMG Apiary
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 09:23:07 am »
Why would the boes turn black?

Good to see you Doak, hope all is well. Very dry here as well, flow is very poor.
Anything worth doing is worth doing well.
We are the keepers, it is our duty to preserve life.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 09:24:11 am »
Wecome back Doak.Glad all is okay

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 10:30:05 am »
Oh goody !  doak did'nt croak  :evil:

Good to hear you're Well  :-D

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 11:48:28 am »
Doak, yes, you have been missed, life can get so ding dang busy for sure, and that heat must be unbelievable, glad all is well.

EasternShore.  I think what Doak meant was that there was so many bees that the boxes appeared black, covered in bees, that is my take.  Have that most wonderful day, a most beautiful day, a most awesome day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 01:26:57 pm »
Yes, the bees have the hives covered from top to bottom.
doak

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 02:15:23 pm »
Whoooweee Doak!
 I hear you loud and clear on the heat issue!
This year has been the worst for me dealing with the heat. It always has been hot to me in the summer but this year it makes me feel lousy....yesterday,(Saturday) I had overtime at work which is very rare...110 degrees in the sun. I had almost 1500 troops working out at my place and I was just walking back and forth putting out fires and pointing directions. I was in the warehouses and then out in the sun. We were supposed to work 10 hours But i reported to the bossses that we were gonna stop at 16:30, regardless,..We had airmen starting to drop :-P.
 I gave up the ghost and left it to my one and only coworker who was previously driving the trucks. At 1400 I felt like I was gonna faint, ears started ringing, and my throat felt funny... and I was even sitting down! I had even drank about 10 bottles of water by this time too! I came home, drank some gatorade, Scared my wife do death, layed down, drank more gatorade, and In a few hours I felt alot better. Now I'm a little gunshy about working my bees until it cools down alittle.
My bees are acting different...They are all staying inside making wind mostly. They were bearding earlier but I cracked open the lids to help a draft get in.
 Well, for sure, I'm glad to see you still here!

your friend,
john

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 02:35:06 pm »
Whoooweee Doak!
 I hear you loud and clear on the heat issue!
This year has been the worst for me dealing with the heat. It always has been hot to me in the summer but this year it makes me feel lousy....yesterday,(Saturday) I had overtime at work which is very rare...110 degrees in the sun. I had almost 1500 troops working out at my place and I was just walking back and forth putting out fires and pointing directions. I was in the warehouses and then out in the sun. We were supposed to work 10 hours But i reported to the bossses that we were gonna stop at 16:30, regardless,..We had airmen starting to drop :-P.
 I gave up the ghost and left it to my one and only coworker who was previously driving the trucks. At 1400 I felt like I was gonna faint, ears started ringing, and my throat felt funny... and I was even sitting down! I had even drank about 10 bottles of water by this time too! I came home, drank some gatorade, Scared my wife do death, layed down, drank more gatorade, and In a few hours I felt alot better. Now I'm a little gunshy about working my bees until it cools down alittle.
My bees are acting different...They are all staying inside making wind mostly. They were bearding earlier but I cracked open the lids to help a draft get in.
 Well, for sure, I'm glad to see you still here!

your friend,
john

Hey John, what is it with the ears ringing? I think its a sign you're about to have a heat stroke, is my best guess. This happens to me, has happened twice in the last few weeks, my ears start ringing and I know I've pushed myself too far, its time to take a break in the AC. After some cool air and some fluids, the ringing goes away, usually in 20-30 minutes. Its really weird cause I can hear, but voices and other noises seem way off in the distance, is this what happens to you?

...JP

My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2008, 06:26:50 pm »
The cabbage didn't do well at all.
4 or 5 pounds.

PLEASE! PLEASE! You guys, don't stay out there until you start showing "symptoms".
There should be some kind of sign telling you before it gets that far.
90 and above is the "red ball", Pay attention to it.
Happy cool down.
doak

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2008, 07:38:23 pm »
Its really weird cause I can hear, but voices and other noises seem way off in the distance, is this what happens to you?

that's what happens right before you pass out as you go from heat exhaustion to heat stroke.  the difference between being over heated and dead.  you body begins to go into shock and you get light headed, ringing in your ears, pass out, die.

if you don't have access to something like Gatorade, the next best thing you can do is poor one of those packets of sugar into your bottle of water.  in that kind of heat, you should be drinking one bottle of water every 15 min.  you can also wet your clothes if the humidity is low, and run your neck and wrists under a cold tap. 

if someone around you goes down, get them out of the sun, soak them down, use a fan if you have one....and unless you want to take a rectal temp to see what the core temp is, call the ambulance.  better the cost of an unnecessary ride to the hospital, than a fried brain.

yup....years of playin in the dirt with the marines.  "i don't need no water doc!" ....crash..........
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2008, 07:45:07 pm »
yeh JP!
Thats EXACTLY what I mean! Stuff, like all the peoples voices sounded like they were getting distant and not coming through right! I got panicky too. Felt my neck pul;se and it was still going right! Then I was freakin' out because i thought somebody would come in and ask me something and I would have to act like nothing was wrong.Thats funny...You said "Feels really wierd" and I felt like "I was a goner "and there was nobody around except a bunch of strange airmen. I even called my wife before i left and told her what route I was taking on the way home in case i didnt show up in 10 minutes!
The bad thing was, that when i would get a group of airmen every hour or so, I would first preach to them about how the heat could sneak up on you here and that if anybody felt funny they needed to get to me really fast before it got bad!
 Another bad thing( which is really good though) is that i've been eating right, walking sometimes 25000 steps a day, and drinking lots of water...I'm even down to 239 now. And THIS happens! :-\
 I think to get to the point of a heat stroke, you stop sweating firast....Now that I think of it I DID stop sweating..I just figured it was because i got inside under the AC. For me, I sweat outside and inside most all day long with little exertion to get me started. I sometimes think that I'm gonna get electrocuted while playing my sons guitar cuz of all my sweat drizzling down onto the knobs and pick-ups!

You're right doak!....On this day The Air Force had issued what they call a "Black Flag" situation....Blag flag means, during strenous work, that a person works 10 minutes and rests 50 minutes!!..Theres different color flags for different heat and humidity situations...Black is the most dangerous. This operation that happened on the base here involving so many airmen and high ranking officials got WAY out of hand with people showing how "GREAT" of leaders they were and how certain higher ups wanted to show their "Can Do" expertise....At the expense of a bunch of young airmen who had just arrived here from God only knows where, and a few contract employees such as myself and  3 drivers from the motor pool, also contract employees.
 Maybe I'll get the chance to meet the person who made this call....Off base.....On a hot humid, night....In a dark parking lot........
Ok,...I'm trippin' now.....This kinda thinkin' makes a person NUTS!
 I'm gonna go get some gatorade, its still HOT!

Oh yeah,....My garden cooked on the vine! I had fried green tomatoes and didnt even have to cook them in the house!

your friend,
john

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2008, 07:57:43 pm »
Hey Doak 4-5 lbs is still good size, how big were they supposed to get?

Kathy and John, I keep an ice chest full of vitamin water and water with me and its nice and cold, but sometimes you wanna just keep pushing a little bit more, you know, in a few more minutes, that become 10 minutes real quick and the next thing you know it you're almost done so you work another 15-20 to finish, I know, stupid huh? Yep!!!

Gotta take those breaks sooner, didn't realize I was that close to heat stroke Kathy, but I knew something wasn't right and knew it had something to do with the heat.

I am taking breaks sooner now, its just not worth it.

...JP

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2008, 08:43:46 pm »
This operation that happened on the base here involving so many airmen and high ranking officials got WAY out of hand with people showing how "GREAT" of leaders they were and how certain higher ups wanted to show their "Can Do" expertise....At the expense of a bunch of young airmen who had just arrived here from God only knows where,

calls like that should be made by your doc.  he/she is in charge of those safety calls no matter what the rank.  if an officer over-rules them, and anything bad happens, it's the officer who gets their tail in a wringer.  of course, your doc has to stand up and make the call in the first place and enforce it.

most people don't really know the difference between heat exhaustion and heat stroke.  they also think the heat exhaustion is not serious.  it is.  the line between the two is a fine one, and if you try to walk it, you may lose your life.  better to call it early and be wrong.

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2008, 10:07:09 pm »
 Thanks for all the information Kathy! You always seem to come up with information, no matter what it is I might post!
 I think you're really GREAT! :)
If you ever need my help with something from around here just let me know!
your friend,
john

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2008, 11:46:26 pm »
Right on, Kathy P.
That is exactly what happened to me in 1987.
"heat exhaustion", That is why I take the heat serious as I do now.
Remember, that was 87, 21 years ago, compared to today I was  younger by 21 years.
Give me 40 to 50 degrees and I am O.K.
Be nice Ya'll, and careful.
doak

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2008, 01:05:22 am »
Kathy, you are indeed a wealth of information, as said, and I know my forum pals are listening.  You, my forum friends, please listen and learn.  I know nothing of heat exhaustion, we just plain and simply do not have that type of climate, I could narry begin to imagine that kind of heat -- it sounds like where you all live, this hot and unbelievable heat is so serious, and.....you must listen to your body talk.  Please all take care, we love you all and would miss you dearly......beautiful and wishes for the safest of days for us all, no matter what we are doing.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2008, 01:04:40 pm »
my husband says my brain is like a big jar of marbles.  there are some good ones in there, and you can see them.  unfortunately, you have to dump the whole jar out to get to the good ones.  somehow i don't think that's a compliment  :(.

it's just the accumulated crap from years of adventures......

cindi, i wonder if there is not a greater danger for those of us not used to the heat.  we don't think about it and don't recognize the danger when our temps get high.  remember what happened in France.  i think part of that had to do with people not thinking about the danger to their neighbors and elderly.  of course, it was august and everyone was on holliday....but still.....

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2008, 01:08:55 pm »
cindi, i wonder if there is not a greater danger for those of us not used to the heat.  we don't think about it and don't recognize the danger when our temps get high.  remember what happened in France.  i think part of that had to do with people not thinking about the danger to their neighbors and elderly.  of course, it was august and everyone was on holliday....but still.....

Kathy, I have no clue what happened in France, what did?  Please tell me, I need to know.  I think that your Husband is wrong, hee, hee, your mind is full of great and wonderful marbles!!!  From your great and wonderful adventures in your life, that I know one day, you will share one or two stories, your adventures with your mare off in the wild blue yonder (hint, hint, girl!!!).  Have a great and wonderful day, Cindi