Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Painting woodenware  (Read 4926 times)

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
Painting woodenware
« on: January 15, 2013, 12:18:50 pm »
Does anybody other than me use a 4" paint roller to paint woodenware?   
 I tried this method and love it.  For tops and bottoms its a quick easy method. 
For boxes I stack them upside down and I can get the inside do the handles pretty easily. 
This has saved me a lot of time when compared to a paint brush! 
I love my mini roller!!! :-D
Bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Painting woodenware
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 12:46:15 pm »
Thanks for the info, I plan on trying it, I have lots of boxwx to paint.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 03:19:37 pm »
I usually spray the boxes but a good layer takes 4=5 coats.

New shop_0001.wmv

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 03:24:07 pm »
You using an airless sprayer Scott?   
Thought about using one but hate the noise and I'm deaf enough as it is. 
The roller does pretty good with 2 coats.  One to seal wood then another to thicken the paint layer.
Glad your back online and hope your luck turned to the better!!   
Bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 03:34:05 pm »
I also spray paint but then I let everything sit for at lease a month with two weeks outside. No reason for the drying process just that what I do. (I like to get the sun on the new paint before the bees get to into them.)  -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 05:37:14 pm »
I roll and bush.  Just depends on my mood and just how much I have to paint. 

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 06:08:38 pm »
I absolutely hate painting bee hives.  I use a brush.

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 10:30:59 pm »
Man Scott, all those things sound the same. Pile them up and have at it. I dial mine down so they don't run. So then I have to get them a couple extra coats. It helps to have a cooler close by too.
I do try to wear a mask, where's yours?

Offline BabcockFarms

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 10:45:05 pm »
In the past I painted with a roller, but this year I am planning to spray them. When I painted with a roller and didn't have something to separate them they would get glued together. Do you have similar problems when spraying? Or you have a trick that works slick.
Ron Babcock

"I believe the good that men do, will live long after they gone."
                                                                                                                          ~Mr. Fox Haas

<

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 01:12:38 pm »
BabcockFarms, when I spray I put a toothpick in each corner for separation. I have had some minor amount of paint on the top and bottom of the boxes but no paint has ever gone inside or even half way (note I spray up and down, never directly at the cracks.) -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline Parksguyy

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 02:05:38 pm »
I see I'm not the only one to discover the little rollers.   I don't have alot of hives, but not a fan of painting.
Using the small roller does a super job in no time at all.  In my case, I spend more time in preparation than I actually do painting. 

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 07:20:25 pm »
Yeap, me too I use a roller and hit the hand holds with a brush.  A couple of coats and put them up until needed, usually 2 to 3 months.  Not always but try to have some ready to use.

Joe

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 08:45:48 pm »
I absolutely hate painting bee hives.  I use a brush.

Ditto. The only thing I've found that makes the process easier is to buy a good quality paint and forget about the $5 cheapo mis tints.

Offline Mbeck

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 10:31:18 pm »
How about good quality mis tints?
I scored some $7.00 a gallon exterior that normally sells for $28.00. It's a nice light color.

I prefer stain and would really like to set up a dipping station someday.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 11:09:24 pm »
I would also like to set up a dipping station, a wax dipping station. Do it once and you are done.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline BabcockFarms

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2013, 12:00:25 am »
Mikecva

Toothpicks is what I used last year. My mistake was not driving into town to pick some flat ones. I used the box of round ones I had in the kitchen and the hive bodies were going all over the place like a circus act. LOL Lesson learned
Ron Babcock

"I believe the good that men do, will live long after they gone."
                                                                                                                          ~Mr. Fox Haas

<

Offline PLAN-B

• House Bee
  • When all else fails go to PLAN-BEE
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2013, 03:43:39 pm »
New at the whole Beekeeping thing but have been a contractor for years. In my experience, go with a 4" cigar roller to get the paint on and then have someone else come right behind you to brush it out... Its called laying it down. Makes a smoother finish, but i wouldnt use my sprayer because although it coats it fast, it does not obtain the same MIL thickness as a roller will....It would take two or three coats with the sprayer to get the same protection that the roller will give. Roller= longer life for your boxes.   8-)
Marshall

Offline johng

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2013, 04:59:17 pm »
Jim if you get the dipping station going let me know. I would pay you to let me dip my boxes. I have 40 to start on tomorrow I normally use a 4in roller. I take a long 4x4 and put it on some saw horses. Then put the boxes through the 4x4 so you can just turn the boxes to get all four sides. On a nice day by the time I get to the end the first one is ready for the next coat.

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2013, 09:50:07 pm »
New at the whole Beekeeping thing but have been a contractor for years. In my experience, go with a 4" cigar roller to get the paint on and then have someone else come right behind you to brush it out... Its called laying it down. Makes a smoother finish

Hahaha  :-D

For five summers I worked helping painting and wallpapering when I was in school.

Still cant stand it when I see that some one has not brushed out there paint and it looks like a stormy sea.  :drowning: Not that i really maters on my poly hives, the painting is just sunscreen, but I still have to do a good job  :brian:

mvh edward  :-P

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2013, 10:07:11 pm »
He you can see a way to paint boxes without bending and getting paint, on your hands, multiple boxes and boards will make it easy to spin them around to paint all sides. A roller might speed things up.

mudsongs: How to Paint Beehives

mvh edward  :-P

anything