Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: raising queens question  (Read 2575 times)

Offline jimmy

• House Bee
raising queens question
« on: July 29, 2009, 05:58:33 pm »
I shook some bees ,put a frame of honey,a frame of capped brood , a drawn empty frame ,a frame with 26 grafted cell cups and a deep feeder for sugar water. How important is it for the placement of the cell cup frame? Also moved that nuc 4 miles away. Thanks

Offline homer

• House Bee
Re: raising queens question
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 01:07:20 am »
I'd just put it in the middle.  However... I'm no expert at raising queens but I would think that you should have LOTS more bees for queen rearing than those that will fit in just a 5 frame nuc.  The more bees the better. 

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 02:50:15 am »
frame of nectar, frame of 26 cells, frame of sealed brood, empty frame, feeder. That's the order I'd use. Make sure you have good population of nurse bees and put in some pollen substitute as well like a pollen patty. Or take out that empty drawn frame and put in a frame that has good supply of pollen stores in it.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 07:24:41 am »
If your only using a 5 frame nuc, then I'm with Ray on the order.  However, I agree with home that 5 frames is not enough.

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,22291.msg171484.html#msg171484
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 10:00:24 am »
You need a hive overflowing with bees.  Five frames will work, but only if there is pollen, honey, not too much brood for them to feed besides the queens and bees "packed down, shaken together and running over". (don't actually pack them down.  That's just a Biblical quote for the concept.)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin