9 (7%)
Veil & gloves
23 (17.8%)
Veil only
20 (15.5%)
Other
18 (14%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: Bee Suits?  (Read 42812 times)

Violacea

Bee Suits?
« on: April 13, 2005, 10:07:43 am »
I'm just really surprised at the number of beekeepers that wear bee suits and . . . and . . . GLOVES?!   :shock:   Maybe it's only because I have a few hives?  Do bees get more aggressive when there are more colonies? *puzzlement*  When I first started I wore long sleeves, but when summer came, that went out the window.  Now I just wear a veil, and rubber band my short sleeves and the bottoms of my jeans.  

So what do you wear?

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Bee Suits?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2005, 10:15:19 am »
I have suited up completely everytime I got bees out of a wall. One never knows their temperment. Yesterday I suited up to check the hives and a good thing too. I had placed a clump of paper between the last frame and wall to steady the frames during moving. As I pulled it out yesterday it really disturbed a frame and the bees came out after me. I always prepare for the worse case. Something slips while your in the hive and end up needing the full gear and don't have it, then what?

I have also read that many times people have very calm bees and for some reason one day they are aggresive.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Lesli

• House Bee
Bee Suits?
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2005, 10:30:46 am »

The hat is to keep them out of my hair. the glasses to keep them out of my eyes.

Now, the girls did get a little testy in fall, so then I started wearing a veil.
Lesli

Offline Lesli

• House Bee
Bee Suits?
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2005, 10:35:50 am »
Something slips while your in the hive and end up needing the full gear and don't have it, then what?

Like the day I was juggling drone frames and... dropped one?

Yeah. I dropped a frame full of bees. Here's what I did:

I closed my eyes and froze. Didn't move at all. Waited to be stung.

They didn't sting. After half a minute or so, I decided they weren't too upset, and slowly and smoothly, picked up the frame and put it back in the hive. And then I scooped up the bees (house bees, young, confused) with my hands (bare) and put them back in the hive.

I'd like to have the jacket with attache veil. They look nice.
Lesli

Offline FordGuy

• House Bee
Re: Bee Suits?
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2005, 11:29:33 am »
I have two feral hives that are mean as snot.  walk to within 50 meters and 10  of them start head-butting you until you run, arms flailing, screaming like a woman, sustaining various forms of bodily injury as you fall and bounce off the ground, to the amusement of anyone watching from a safe distance.  

So yes, I wear suit, face mask, gloves, holy water, rabbit's foot, carry a bible, and wear leather underpants when messing with these hives.  

Quote from: Violacea
I'm just really surprised at the number of beekeepers that wear bee suits and . . . and . . . GLOVES?!   :shock:   Maybe it's only because I have a few hives?  Do bees get more aggressive when there are more colonies? *puzzlement*  When I first started I wore long sleeves, but when summer came, that went out the window.  Now I just wear a veil, and rubber band my short sleeves and the bottoms of my jeans.  

So what do you wear?

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2005, 02:07:04 pm »
Quote from: FordGuy
I have two feral hives that are mean as snot.  walk to within 50 meters and 10  of them start head-butting you until you run, arms flailing, screaming like a woman, sustaining various forms of bodily injury as you fall and bounce off the ground, to the amusement of anyone watching from a safe distance.  

So yes, I wear suit, face mask, gloves, holy water, rabbit's foot, carry a bible, and wear leather underpants when messing with these hives.  

Why would you want to keep such hives?????

Requeen........
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
Bee Suits?
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2005, 05:47:04 pm »
I wear the protective gear
shorts, tshirt and sandals.
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

Offline Jay

• House Bee
Bee Suits?
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2005, 07:46:35 pm »
Who you kiddin' Rog, that great beard of yours is enough to keep africanized bees at bay! :lol:
By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
Bee Suits?
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2005, 11:39:05 pm »
I like to use my veil and gloves but dont really need the gloves. bye :)
Ryan Horn

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
    • http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/GA216.html
Bee Suits?
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2005, 12:28:06 am »
Ok, I fully suit up - I'm chicken...... what can I say?

Beth :)

Offline Jay

• House Bee
Bee Suits?
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2005, 12:37:34 am »
I wear one of these. :D

By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson

Offline lively Bee's

• House Bee
Bee Suits?
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2005, 12:44:32 am »
Veil only.

Offline FordGuy

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2005, 12:56:47 am »
Burglars?  naw, really it's sort of embarassing how I got them, so much that I'd much prefer you think of me high-stepping all dressed in white, hive tools flying out of my hands as I do the double-windmill with my arms.  

I plan to replace them with gentle queens - I have another post about how to acquire Carneoleans in this same forum.  

Quote from: Robo
Quote from: FordGuy

Why would you want to keep such hives?????

Requeen........

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
Suit. gloves, the lot.
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2005, 01:56:06 am »
Having the last look for honey yesterday to extract this season ( there was not enough) just a little bit of an awkward bump of the 2nd. super & I had a lot of angry bees. A couple still managed to sting through my gear around both wrists so what would it have been like without the protection ?
     A freind beleives I have a savage lot to contend with but they have been great producers in my first year with them so requeening with something of a more gentle nature is the aim for the coming spring.
      On the subject of seatbelts in road veichles I would have been beheaded in a truck rollover if I had been wearing a belt. These days it is compulsory in Australia to wear them if the veichle you are driving is fitted with them as all new veichles are.
        Great forum, I can learn a lot from experiences of people in the northern hemisphere & I can really appreciate FordGuys situation.
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
Bee Suits?
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2005, 08:39:38 am »
Geoff, why dont you re queen this next fall? Queens cost less in the end of the season and your hive would get a good jump start next year too. bye :D
Ryan Horn

Offline firetool

• House Bee
Bee Suits?
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2005, 09:15:02 am »
I think it is better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it. I am just starting out so later on when I am more experiansed I might try it with out some protective gear. I don't plan on ever doing any thing magior with out it though. I felt bad for John the time he got those 200 stings. I woould have had gear on. Becouse even if you are careful accidents still happen. If he had one on he would not have gotten it that bad.

Just my thoughts,

Brian

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Bee Suits?
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2005, 09:20:19 am »
Anywhere from street clothes (I was tempted to say nothing, but thought that might be misinterpreted) to a full bee suite (love my golden products suit).  But most often wear a jacket with a zip on veil and usually wear gloves.  I used to not wear them so much, but one time opened a hive that seemed ok, picked up a frame and my hand got gang stung.  Now I take off the gloves when I need the dexterity and leave them on the rest of the time.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Wombat

• House Bee
    • http://www.firstbees.blogspot.com
Bee Suits?
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2005, 10:47:20 pm »
I wear a full suit, but I'm new to this.

However, I'm starting to get more and more comfortable, and am thinking of "downgrading"...I feel a little clumsy in my gloves and want to be as natural as possible...

might keep the veil though...at least for A WHILE

peace and oranges
wombat
www.firstbees.blogspot.com
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
-St. Philo of Alexandria

Offline Lesli

• House Bee
Bee Suits?
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2005, 12:52:51 pm »
Last year, I stopped wearing the veil when I realized I had two very gentle colonies. But I think whatever you do, you need to have eye covering and (unless your hair is really short) a hat. Getting the girls tangled in your hair is unpleasant for everyone!
Lesli

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Bee Suits?
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2005, 05:56:58 pm »
Once you've seen how quickly a hive can mobilize, I think you will want to wear at least a veil.  A awful lot of bees can sting you in a very short amount of time and it can be a hive that has been gentle up until then.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything