Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Combining Hives Question.  (Read 1846 times)

Offline leechmann

• House Bee
Combining Hives Question.
« on: July 11, 2009, 09:33:14 pm »
I caught a swarm approximately 14 days ago. The bees in that hive seem very content, yet I am unable to locate the queen. I am also unable to see any eggs or larva. I'm thinking about combining the swarm hive with another one of my hives that is doing just OK. The swarm hive is in two deep boxes right now, and the hive I'm thinking about combining it with has two deeps and two medium supers on it. The question is, whats the best way to go about this? I've heard about the wet newspaper between the hive boxes but I don't know the particulars. Please explain the process to me.

Thanks

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Combining Hives Question.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 09:51:22 pm »
If you don't hear the infamous roar when you open the swarm colony you may have a queen that hasn't started laying yet. Not knowing all the particulars I would suggest possibly waiting another week to see if she starts laying.

Combine in a nut shell. Queenright hive on bottom, remove top cover, smoke them down, place one sheet of newspaper over hive, place queenless hive atop, cut slits and spray newspaper lightly with water or sugar water.

If very warm out check the next day to ensure they mixed, don't want the hive on top to bake from intense heat.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline leechmann

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 10:52:35 pm »
Thanks JP, I have to say, I've heard all about the roar from everyone about a queenless hive. However, these bees are very quiet and content. They just go about thier business. Makes me wonder if shes in there somewhere and not laying, like you said. It was a pretty good swarm, I'd say 3 to 4 pounds of bees. When I shook most of the bees into the hive, the rest wanted in there, so I'm pretty sure I got the queen when I captured them.

Thanks for your help.

Leechmann

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 10:56:05 pm »
you could have got a swarm with a virgin queen, she would need time to mate and then a while to start laying, I would give her more times also..
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 11:18:35 pm »
got a couple of virgins this year.  one took 3+ weeks to get laying.  i was about to give up on her...then...eggs!  got  another that i actually watched running around in there.  lost her probably on mating flight.

you will have to keep a close eye on them, but i agree about giving a little more time.  in the mean time, give them a frame with some eggs and very young larvae.  if they start queen cells, that may answer your question for you.  then you can decide about combining right away.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline leechmann

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 01:39:21 am »
Thanks Kathy, that sounds like very good advise. I'll give it more time, and maybe a frame of eggs and larva.

anything