Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Plants that may help with mites  (Read 23569 times)

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
Re: Plants that may help with mites
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2013, 01:48:19 pm »
I know there are natural ingredients in the medications, but they are pretty concentrated.  I'm not a chemist but it seems to me that the bees would have to be foraging on A LOT of plants to equal what's on/in some of those medications.  Not saying it won't help, though.

As for hops, my husband was very supportive of planting in our apiary and we now have 6 or so established plants.  The problem is who gets to the buds first -- the bees or the husband who likes to make beer. :)

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2013, 09:34:37 pm »
It may or may not help but I have planted some Lavender plants.  Also have planted some popcorn trees and some Loquat trees for the blooms. 

Joe

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2013, 08:05:31 am »
One guy thought that when he put dry rhubard leaves inside the hive, it kills varroa..

Language barrier NOT included

Offline Linda32

• New Bee
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2013, 08:58:07 am »
That is awesome Joe D. I was looking for this. Can you help me in finding these plants for me. I don't have any idea and i haven't seen them in my life. If i see i don't know them by name... So help me that from where i can buy or find that plants for my garden. Also how does they look like...

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2013, 11:57:40 am »
Linda, one of the biggest Lavender farms in the world is in Austrialia, the popcorn tree, not the proper name, over here can't be sold because it is invasive, the Loquat is a kind of Chinese plum tree.  Jeanette a member here from Austrialia is the person that put up a list  of some plants that may help with varro not sure if it will help.  There was a post this week in the Down Under section about some using a chux towel folded up to help catch SHB's.  Good luck

Joe

Offline Bradeeen

• New Bee
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2013, 03:34:45 am »
I think you need to use insect killer spray on your plants which is a better solution of these insects.
Use spray at night and you can see quick result of this process.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2013, 10:03:51 am »
>I think you need to use insect killer spray on your plants which is a better solution of these insects.

What insects?  Bees?  I don't think I want to kill insects...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline labradorfarms

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2013, 12:33:31 pm »
What about Thyme??????? Woulndt the bees forage on if?  Don't they use it in tymol which is used to treat mites? I think I spelt it correct..

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2013, 03:28:59 am »
Does make mention of mites but more generally about bee health, here is an interesting article from The Australasian Beekeeper a couple of years ago. I wouldn't mind hearing the results of his experiment, I'll try and chase that up.

Offline D D

• New Bee
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2014, 09:26:47 pm »
this year i planted spearmint under my hives. every week or so i would break off a stem and place it on the bottom board were they would have to craw over it . i had no mites.

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2014, 09:46:25 pm »
 :lau:

Offline jredburn

• House Bee
    • Poorboybees
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2014, 08:46:10 pm »
If you wish to see what essential oils will do to SHB, wax moths and  mites try this.
Take a small number of SHB and put them in a plastic sandwich bag.  Put three drops of Spearmint Oil in the bag.  Count the number minutes that it takes for the beetles to die.  Just for kicks, push one of two of the beetles into one of the drops of oil. 
Then try it with Wintergreen and then with lavender.
Then come back here and tell me how it works for you.
Regards
Joe

Offline S.M.N.Bee

• House Bee
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2014, 07:51:07 pm »
I placed green rhubarb leaves under my inner covers last year. They are suppose to be high in oxalic acid. I can't say it worked but mite counts weren't
to bad in the fall. The two hives however were started from packages in the spring.

Might be crackpot science but I didn't see any harm in it.

John 

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2014, 03:10:04 pm »
I don't know what effect my herbs had on mites, but last year I had great tasting herbal-flavored honey when my thyme, basil, rosemary and oregano provided a lot of forage for the bees.  Another beekeeper a block away had good honey, but not herb flavored.  Herbs disn't hurt anything and everybody liked the flavor.  Trying to get some buckwheat growing this year.
Gary
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

anything