Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: First time bee experience  (Read 1226 times)

Offline jester7891

• House Bee
First time bee experience
« on: April 21, 2008, 03:00:02 pm »
I loaded my first two sets (ever) of bees over the weekend.  The weather was great.  The first 3 pounds went rather well and without problems.  The second 3 pounds of bees seemed very angry and I received three stings (still seems not too bad for a beginner).  Both sets were kept in a cool dry place for approximately 12 hours before.  Everybody was well fed and cooled off prior to putting them in the hives.  I'm guessing this was just fate.  At 48 hours, everybody looks happy and productive.  I will wait 7-8 days before opening the hives but I plan on peeking in to the hive top feeders at day #4 and refilling the sugar water if necessary.  I had Benadryl and the Epi-Pen ready but I believe that two shots of Jack Daniels seems to work best.  Thanks for all of your input throughout the fall and winter.  I'm guessing it’s all uphill from here.
                                          Jester

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: First time bee experience
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 03:09:26 pm »
but I believe that two shots of Jack Daniels seems to work best

:-D

welcome to the wonderful world of beekeeping!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline asciibaron

• House Bee
    • The Elvaton Apiary
Re: First time bee experience
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 03:40:26 pm »

but I believe that two shots of Jack Daniels seems to work best

was a third shot taken just to be sure and thus you feel 2 was the correct dosage?  i ask because i needed three Seven and Seven's before i was no longer concerned with such things as bee stings.  :-D

-Steve