Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: putting frame of brood in trapout hive  (Read 2395 times)

Offline hoku

• New Bee
    • Monkeypod Organics
putting frame of brood in trapout hive
« on: August 19, 2008, 02:55:45 pm »
So, I am going to do a trapout and I have read that putting a frame of brood in the new hive body to lure them in is helpful.  I have  a strong have that could stand to part with a frame of brood.  My question is....how do I get the bees off the frame when I remove it?  Brushing it seems like it will upset them quite a bit and also I dont want to injure the queen if she is there and I dont see her.  OR.....do I just make sure the queen is not there and move the bees with the frame?  The trapout is about 600 feet from the hive I would be pulling the frame out of, so I suppose they will just fly back home??  Any tricks of the trade you might have would be helpful. 

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: putting frame of brood in trapout hive
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 08:09:48 pm »
Assuming a strong brood comb well attached, most people shake the bees off.  If you do brush them, use quick flicks to get them off.  NEVER brush gently, you will only make them mad.  In all cases when removing bees from a comb you are trying to surprise them.  It takes sudden things to get bees off.

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin