Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Your Favorite Head Protection Gear Why  (Read 6665 times)

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
Your Favorite Head Protection Gear Why
« on: May 19, 2007, 09:00:38 pm »
Hi All,

I have a folding veil and helmet...I must buy another for my helper...I have seen those hood type things...so which ones do you all prefer..and why?

Many Thanks

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Your Favorite Head Protection Gear Why
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 09:20:55 pm »
i got my husband the jacket with zip on hood from mann lake.  it was 40 some dollars + shipping.  it's nice and he really likes it.  i bought the cheaper on and it is quite adequate and well made.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 11:13:13 pm »
Most times than not I don't need to wear protective gear, but when those times that it is necessary I like the folding veil with the plastic helmet that dadant sells, second choice is for the most extreme times is the pull over zippered jacket and veil.

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 11:21:48 pm »
When I hived my packages yesterday, I used a 20-year-old veil with a "safari-type" hat inside. The pastic band was hard and uncomfortable, but it sat fine. I had thought there were drawstrings to cinch up the openings, but everything was fairly loose, so I tucked the netting into my collar and didn't have any problems. I'm guessing anything that keeps the bees away from your face and skin is sufficient, because even a moderately determined bee should have been able to find her way through the loops and gaps in my protection.

How this may serve if the bees were feeling surly, I don't know.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline 2-Wheeler

• House Bee
    • http://www.beesandblooms.org
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2007, 11:44:29 pm »
I've also got one of those zip-over veils that is attached to the jacket, from Mann Lake I think ($40).  It was about 81 today when I was out there in the sun and I was sweating so bad at times, I had to take a break and walk away from the bees and unzip it to get some air. It always seems very hot to me. 

My wife uses the full suit with the pith-helmet and elastic veil that zips on at the bottom. She reported that she was cool and comfortable today during our fun with the swarm. Maybe I should upgrade?
-David Broberg   CWOP#: CW5670 / CoCoRaHS #CO-BO-218
Blog: http://beesandblooms.blogspot.com/
My Weather: http://www.leyner.org/
My Flickr Album: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dbroberg/

Offline n9kww

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2007, 02:25:21 pm »
I also use the jacket with veil combination. I like it, it does get hot at times but I can see everything I need to see. With other types I found they shift on me and I don’t like that at all. Because I go to 3 different yards it is nice to carry and just slip over and I am set to go. I guess convenience takes priority over comfort at times. It is never that hot that I have to take a break, it is warmer than others, but on cooler days (those I like to work in) it sure is nice..
Ron

Offline LET-CA

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2007, 04:43:39 pm »
I too purchased one of the jackets from Mann Lake with the hood attached with a zipper.  I love it.  The material is heavy enough that bees can't sting through it and the hood flips over to the rear when I don't need it.  I think I paid $50 for it.  I've put it through the washing machine several times and it comes out looking like new.  Definitely one of the best purchases I've ever made.  The waistband has elastic to keep critters from coming up from the bottom and the wrists are elastic too.  Very well made.

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2007, 05:57:58 pm »
Excellent, I think I will buy the jacket with hood...looks as though it will suffice!

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2007, 07:18:24 pm »
I've seen that jacket and hood combo in the catalog and thought it looked pretty sweet.  Anyone "Plus Sized" by one?  I'm a big boy at 6' 4" and almost 300 lbs.  My problem is my long torso, most times I can't find shirts that I can tuck in and some coats are just too short.

Head protection wise, I just use a square folding vale with a mesh helmet from Dadant.  I've been using a 3XL Tyvek painters suit but lately I've just gone out with shorts and a t-shirt and have been just fine.  I'm still wearing gloves though, cant stand stings on the hands (I'm a wuss).

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2007, 07:46:44 pm »
My favorite is a jacket with a zip on veil, unless it's really hot, then it's a Golden Bee Products suit with just shorts on under it.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2007, 08:18:15 pm »
So far I have gone gloveless, and now I am worried that wearing gloves will be extremely cumbersome in the future sould I require them.

Offline nepenthes

• Field Bee
  • Little honey bee in flight
    • Photo Album
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2007, 08:21:07 pm »
Ive not worn any Protection, Im sure that will change when they have bunch of honey.
"I have never wished to cater to the crowd, for what I know they do not approve, and what they approve I do not know." - Epicurus.

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2007, 08:25:40 pm »
only a hat with a veil, the rest of the clothes is..what i happen to wear that day.
if they're not in the mood, i postone the examination, as simple as that, why force things.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2007, 10:42:40 pm »
I like the hood. The helmet is a pain.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2007, 09:49:36 am »
So far I have gone gloveless, and now I am worried that wearing gloves will be extremely cumbersome in the future sould I require them.

Try Nitrile gloves.  They aren't 100% stingproof,  but they work pretty well and they keep the propolis off your hands.

I prefer the folding veil and helmet as well.  I can keep it in the car without it getting all bent up for when it is needed.  Most of the time, it is the only bee protection I use.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2007, 10:20:50 am »
Oh thanks Robo, I have a box of nitrile which I use in the garden and such...I will give them a try...

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2007, 11:40:06 am »
Is nitrile the blue kind of latex gloves?  I use then when I work in the mud.  Sometimes when I go into the hives and know that I don't want the propolis on my fingers, I will put them on, for that purpose only.

I go barehanded always.  I find that the gloves are clumbsy, you can easily injure a bee and that is what causes the alarm pheromone and then the bees get angry right off.  Bare hands you can even feel if you are close to one. 

I use baby powder on my hands every time I work the hives.  I have not had any stings on my hands from working in the hives.  I have not tried without the baby powder, so I don't know.

I love my two piece bee suit.  When the weather is not too hot that is what I wear.  It has the attached hood that can be zipped off.  It is pretty good, but I look like an alien.

When the weather gets warmer, I have the safari hat type with the veil that goes over it like in Sean's avitar, his veil that his child is wearing.  That is awesome and I find it has great ventilation.  I can put it on and go out in the apiary with bare arms.  I like to wear halter tops in the summer to keep my body tanned and cooled off.  I always wear my jeans, no matter what the temperature when I am in the apiary.  Never shorts.  I could not imagine what it would be like to have a bee sneak up the shorts, eeh gads!!!!!  The only way that shorts might be OK is if a string was tied around the bottom of them to keep the material without gaps the bees could climb up.  There are so many designs of bee attire that you just have to think about what your personal preference would be.  Something that is good for one is not good for another.  Have a wonderful day, great life and health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2007, 11:56:28 am »
Nitrile is an alternative to latex, we use almost 100% nitrile in the hospital where I work...I use them to stat IV's draw blood etc...so I am used to them...they fit well and are almost like 2nd skin..not as good as latex though...

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2007, 10:02:21 pm »
I like my jacket with attached veil,but might want something lighter when it's hot.
I rub my hands with baby powder before getting the hive open. The bees pay little attention to me then.