Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarm absconded??  (Read 5148 times)

Offline malachii

• New Bee
    • Bluegum Gold
Swarm absconded??
« on: October 26, 2010, 02:16:40 am »
I collected a swarm last night and brought it home.  I put it into a hive box with foundation but no drawn comb or honey.  This morning (about 10.30 or so) the swarm left.  What did I do wrong?  Should I have completely blocked off the hive for a couple of days so they would settle in there?  Should I have provided them with honey or sugar water?  What do other people do with new swarms?

malachii

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
Re: Swarm absconded??
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 02:23:30 am »
I've had the same thing happen to two of my swarms mate - no rime or reason as to why! i followed the same process with all of them - seems some just get the idea in their head that they don't like their new, warm, clean digs!

Offline Pete

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 04:43:58 am »
A ozzbuzz said, at least 2 of mine have done that. Might be too barren in there with foundation only? I did have one abscond that had half a frame of honey, i re caught them and they stayed fine.

Offline Anybrew

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 08:20:37 am »
Hey, a good trick is to cut up a damaged excluder and nail it across the entrance/exist that way if the swarn decides to leave her majesty stays behind and they return in a couple of hours at most.  After a few weeks take away the cut excluder. You can also place a complete excluder on the bottom board which will do the same thing.
Cheers Steve

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 02:24:00 pm »
If I may;

EDIT - Sorry my reply was also about using a Queen excluder which has already been posted !

Sorry, didn't mean too intrude !

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 02:36:03 pm »
If you use a queen excluder as a queen "includer" don't leave it on more than 2-3 days. The drones will be trapped inside as well and won't be able to take cleansing flights.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 07:31:29 pm »
It happens to me a lot; i have started clipping the queen, if she goes then, she only makes it a few feet. I have placed her back 3 to five times befor she gave up and went to laying. I even do this on all my cut outs now as i lose a lot to absconds.
to bee or not to bee

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 08:56:22 pm »
Just feeding them syrup usually works for me, but if you want to be sure they stay put, give them a frame of uncapped brood. Works every time for me.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Pete

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 05:30:14 pm »
If you use a queen excluder as a queen "includer" don't leave it on more than 2-3 days. The drones will be trapped inside as well and won't be able to take cleansing flights.

Scott

Isnt a swarm the old queen? the new queen stays in the original hive, therefore mating isnt an issue, she is already mated?

Offline malachii

• New Bee
    • Bluegum Gold
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 06:29:18 pm »

Scott

Isnt a swarm the old queen? the new queen stays in the original hive, therefore mating isnt an issue, she is already mated?

I dont think they are refering to the queen or drones needing to mate rather the drones cant get out for a "toilet stop".  They cant cross their legs for anymore than about 2-3 days!

malachii

Offline Culley

• House Bee
    • my beekeeping page on twitter
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 02:11:43 am »
...if you want to be sure they stay put, give them a frame of uncapped brood. Works every time for me.

This has worked for me too.

Also, you can have multiple swarms from one colony, and I think after the first one they're virgin queens. So mating could be an issue if you restrict the queen.