Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Split or just add next medium brood box  (Read 1713 times)

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
Split or just add next medium brood box
« on: May 22, 2013, 08:14:15 am »
My first hive which was started from a pkg a month and a half ago is ready to either add the next brood box or I think I can split it.

One of my nucs I got Sat May 11th either didn't have a queen or something happened to her. When I picked it up from the supplier we didn't see her. Too many bees. However on inspection on Sun May 19th I didn't see any eggs and I found emergency queen cells at least 5 of them.

Should I just add the next brood box to my first hive or should I split it and cut out one of the queen cells and put it in the split?

Looking for input on what would be best.

The next question is I don't have a 5 frame nuc box and only have 8 frame hive boxes. Can I start a spilt in an 8 frame box? I don't have drawn comb to put in the box only foundationless frames.

If I do the split how many frames do I pull from my hive? I know I need at least 1 of pollen and honey and 1 of brood but since I will be using an 8 frame hive body for the split, should I split it evenly putting 4 frames in each hive and 4 empty foundationless frames? What would be the best configuration?

Thanks for your help.

David
"Give it All You've Got"
"Never give up. Never surrender."

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Split or just add next medium brood box
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 08:29:23 am »
I generally try to make strong splits.  That is at least a ten frame deep's worth of bees, brood and honey (two eight frame mediums worth) which means the hive has to have TWO deeps' worth of bees, brood and honey before I split them (four eight frame mediums).  That way they have the critical mass to take off and not struggle for a month or two before they take off...

It also depends on having drawn comb.  A split can really take off with drawn comb rather than bare foundation or empty frames.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 08:35:46 am »
Thanks Michael,

Looks like I'll just add the next brood box.

David
"Give it All You've Got"
"Never give up. Never surrender."

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 11:09:09 am »
I have also found that the parent hive recovers much faster from a split if it is strong (couple of deeps).   Yeah, that is a pretty obvious observation, but true :)   However I do make 2 to 3 frame splits from smaller hives on a regular basis when in expansion mode.

anything