Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Location, Location, Location  (Read 1617 times)

Offline Mongoose

• Brood
  • Adapt. Overcome.
Location, Location, Location
« on: December 02, 2009, 01:26:17 am »
Good Evening,
OK, I'm on the verge of setting up my very first hive. I've research the various types of boxes to use as well as the breed of bee that may work well for my first batch.

Here's the question: I'm going to be looking to local farmers to allow me to use a patch of their land to place my beehive. So far the response has been positive as I currently reside in a condo and have zero lawn. Being in Monterey, it's a coastal environment and I'm a little concerned about the salt air and chill of the morning affecting the bees so I'm likely to select a location a little more protected and inland. That having been said, do I need to put these bees right in the middle of a field of wildflowers and other 'targets of opportunity' or is it advisable to set up shop and let the bee's find their way on their own terms.

Like I said, I have zero experience but I'm pretty stoked to give this a shot. Thank you, sincerely, for your time and energy and I hope to hear from you soon.

Jason

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Location, Location, Location
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 01:44:25 am »
they will fly up to a couple of miles to collect.  if you get close to your source, it will be close enough.  the only time it really makes a difference is if you are trying to have them collect only one type of nectar.  if, for instance, you wanted clover honey, you would set them up in the middle of a large clover field.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 10:52:14 am »
Set them up where its easiest on you to access the hives (yes, start with at least two). Don't put them too high off the ground and don't put them on soft ground or you'll have sinkage issues. They will find the resources available to them.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline agrimm01

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 09:44:32 pm »
Set the hive so it's facing east so the bees get up and going early.  It's good to keep them in the sun and out of the shade for most of the day.

Andy

Offline slaphead

• House Bee
  • Obsessive, compulsive & happy
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 11:58:34 pm »
Hi Mongoose,

As climates go that of Monterey, CA is definitely on the mild side. The bees will absolutely love it, even on the coast.  My recommendation is to focus on a location that is easy for you to drive up to with your car/truck and which is free of agricultural spraying.  I suspect the latter might be the hardest issue you will face if you focus on the agricultural areas.  If you can find an organic farm.....

SH

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself - FDR, 1933