Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Do you build robbing screens the same?  (Read 1529 times)

Offline dprater

• House Bee
Do you build robbing screens the same?
« on: September 08, 2013, 08:55:39 pm »
I built all 6 of my robbing screens the same size with the entrance in the same place. I built them because I tried feeding a nuc last month and that set them off. Closed them up 2 days and stoped the robbing.
If all my robbings screens are alike and I have to start feeding later this year will all my bees say to each other: this screen looks just like the one at our house, and laugh at the beek  :laugh:.Do we need to make each one a little different or am I over thinking it?

dan
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 06:59:38 am by dprater »

Offline rwlaw

• House Bee
Re: Do you build robbing screens the same?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 10:10:19 pm »
If you made the screens with a 1" entrance, even a weak hive should be able to defend it, even if the robbers know where the where the holes are at. In my experience with screens, they do figure them out, that's why I just make entrance reducers of various sizes and placement, does about the same thing.
Can't ever say that bk'n ain't a learning experience!

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 08:00:22 pm »
I use robber screens in the fall after our flow has stopped. They are only on for a few weeks till the frost. The last couple of batches, I painted them different colors and turned them over to the kids for design work. They drew and painted different shapes on them. My only rule, no two alike. I read somewhere, that dark bees remember shapes better than color. If I left them on all year some bug would figure it out.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 01:14:55 pm »
Robbers use a different mental process when robbing than when they are finding their way home.  It won't matter if they are alike.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline dprater

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 09:42:00 pm »
Thanks all- Bees may be like dumb crooks, not thinking to much just going at it. Mine screens do work but it messes with them when they all come out for a orientation flights.

dan

anything