Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: When do I check to see if Queen released  (Read 3614 times)

Offline Carol

• House Bee
    • critters and crawlers visiting or living in my back yard
When do I check to see if Queen released
« on: September 08, 2013, 01:38:10 pm »
I bought a package of bees to combine with my Queenless hive. I installed them on Thurs afternoon so it has been 3 day this (Sun) afternoon. Should I check to see if she is out of the cage or wait another day or two.

I have had a lot of robbers trying for the hive...several dead bees on the tiles in front of the hive....put up screens and cut 2 huge palm fronds and secured to the top of the hive for shading the front...since I've had to reduce the entrance. Seems to be working...less bees around the front and only a few dead ones. Hope it continues.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Re: When do I check to see if Queen released
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 02:20:38 pm »
Good Luck Carol and lots of enjoyment
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 02:24:49 pm »
I usually give them about 5 to 7 days then check. Depending on the type of cage the queen was in, and if it was installed correctly.. candy opening up..  if the candy opening was down and the queen had attendants I might check if sooner to make sure no dead attendants are blocking her escape.   I have not had any issues with the candy release as long as the candy plug was installed to the side or up.
   So how did you combine?   Newspaper combine with the queen release set up at the same time in the top box?
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline Carol

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 02:44:48 pm »
OldMech:   yes....Queen in top box...newspaper between. Should they be through it by now? I am feeding in an empty super over the top box.

Installed a second package in another hive so I would have two....and maybe one would make it. Feeding both in empty supers on top.

Our pepperbush should be blooming before long. I am seeing small buds.  Bottlebrush are putting out some and the bees are working them.

Guess I need to check tomorrow....candy end was down....plastic cage. I would do it today..but have been messing with them a lot already with the screens....unless you think I should do it now.  Robbers seem to have gone someplace else.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 04:32:42 pm »
Two Hives  :th_thumbsupup:
John 3:16

Offline Carol

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 04:55:28 pm »
Hope the pepperbush bloom is enough to get them going....Sam Comfort seemed to think it would be a good one...I got them from him. 

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 05:59:20 pm »
Do you have drawn comb for them to store into or are they building comb?

If the queen had attendants IN the cage with her, then I would certainly check it now.. about 24 hours seems average for them to chew through the candy in the installs I have done. so three days is a good time to check in that situation (imho)..   If one of the attendants died she may still be locked into her cage.. a dead attendant can block the opening that would normally allow her to exit. So a quick check is in order. Open, look, insure shes out and close up. I like to leave them alone for at least five days to get acclimated before I poke my big nose in...., but have never done a combine WHILE installing a new queen so i cant give you any advice on that part of it.

As far as reserves and stores go.. all you can do is look when the flow is done and see how they did..  Let them make as much brood as possible before feeding.. in my experience.. once you start feeding they will pack every available space full of syrup.. A good thing to help them through winter, a bad thing if you need brood FOR winter.

Offline Carol

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 07:48:53 pm »
There are 5 drawn frames in the bottom hive and 5 in the combine hive....and the other have has 5 drawn. The rest they have to make. Since they only have one frame of honey each...I am feeding...assume that is why robbers are interested in the hives. Since I had bees but no Queen and then put a package in a deep above them...should I leave them in both deeps after they have combined? or try to move them all into one....later.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 10:34:40 am »
Only give them the space they need. Remove any excess comb not needed as they build up. But of course leave the queen room to lay in (frame space she needs). Excess space could be an shb nightmare. You can add the extra box back when needed if you have pepper bush etc. coming.

On the other hand give them the space when they need it. Don't want to lose you new queen to a swarm.

Offline Carol

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 01:40:07 pm »
Good news....both Queen cages were empty....one was where I could reach it by removing only one frame...the other fell into the bottom and I had to remove 2...while doing that I noticed the had started comb in two frames...couldn't see the others...2 nice big pieces in each frame..but not joined yet.  Sooooooo happy.

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 02:48:33 pm »
Good deal! Glad to hear it!

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 03:28:27 pm »
Yes the package you bought is like a swarm and should be eager to build comb.

Offline Carol

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 09:36:29 pm »
Tomorrow will have been a wk since I installed and combined the package....should I remove the bottom deep or wait a bit longer. I don't want to upset the new Queen.

I had to put robber screens on them for a few days....then put an open feeder in the front yard. Today I was able to remove the screens. I was home all day and kept a good watch to be sure no robbing was going on.

One of the Pepperbushes in the back yard has lots of buds ..so maybe there are some already open nearby and the "robbers" are busy elsewhere.