Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New beek in Edgewater, Florida  (Read 1600 times)

Offline Matthew207

• New Bee
    • Five on a farm
New beek in Edgewater, Florida
« on: May 30, 2011, 04:02:18 pm »
Hello everyone!

New to beekeeping.  Started my first two hives a little late in the season this year, Mother's Day weekend.  Started both hives from Nucs attained from Scott (Hardwood). Very healthy and happy bees.  Very very calm and gentle.  That makes this somewhat timid first timer.  About a week after installing the hives, they were both very active and returning with bags of pollen.  Then it happened!
One of the hives got attacked by bull ants!  I ran out to save what I could.  Tore the live apart in my shorts!  The very firs time I opened the hive!  Haha...so much for the fear!  Well we lost A LOT of bees, but were able to get rid of the ants.  The next week we did a hive inspection on both hives.  The one that was attacked had low population but visible small larvae.  The other hive had much more population and larvae, both small and large.  Also a lot of capped brood.  Closed them back up and waited another week.
Yesterday, the attacked hive had no eggs, larvae and very little capped brood.  I immediately feared that we lost the queen.  The bees were very calm for a colony without a queen.  We took a frame full of eggs, larvae and capped brood from the stronger hive and placed it in the other in hopes for a new queen to be raised.

I look forward to learning from everyone here and appreciate any comments, advice, or suggestions any of you have
So much for that low stress hobby I was looking for!

Offline b reeves

• House Bee
Re: New beek in Edgewater, Florida
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 07:00:53 pm »
Welcome
its never too late to start bees in florida
Bob

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 08:50:20 pm »
Good to see you found us Matt! It looks like east central FL is gonna dominate here! :-D

BTW, pm sent.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 09:31:19 pm »
Welcome to the forum

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 03:44:47 pm »
Ole Scott's bringing em in en masse  :-D