Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Yet another split question  (Read 3324 times)

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Yet another split question
« on: March 19, 2010, 12:21:52 pm »
OK very strong hive and they have started to make queen cups, some of them are looking rather large, but looked inside of them and no larvae inside yet.

I was wondering how much time I have until they swarm out??

I did steal 3 frames of brood from them yesterday to help a weaker hive, so do you think that might slow them down??

I want to split this hive to give to the 4H club, so I am trying to figure out when to split

Thanks
Annette

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
Re: Yet another split question
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 12:46:01 pm »
If there is nothing inside the cups, it means nothing.
All hives make cups.
Language barrier NOT included

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 12:49:11 pm »
You may try to prevent swarming.
Lift all brood frames and food frames above the excluder and give to the second box empty combs. When queen lays in empty combs the colony get no idea to start swarming. That is common procedure to avoid swarming.

http://maarec.psu.edu/pdfs/Swarm_Prev_Control_PM.pdf

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 04:10:35 pm »
Yes, I know how to prevent swarming. I just wanted to know approximatly how long I might have until they attempt to do this.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 04:46:25 pm »
Yes, I know how to prevent swarming. I just wanted to know approximatly how long I might have until they attempt to do this.

4 weeks, 3 days, 12 hours, 23 minutes, 8 seconds

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 04:48:18 pm »
That's great Finski, is that you :lau: :lau:

Offline jsmob

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 09:30:26 pm »
Hi Annette.
If your hives are looking crouded then I would do a split. What is croweded? 6 or 8 frames full of bees. I am not sure. But I do it if they look croweded. But if you are not waiting for a certen reason then I would do it now. You are just up the hill from me, and if your bees are working like mine I would say it is a good time now, or at most in the next few weeks for sure. I split my hive 15 days ago. I just took the queen with 3 frames of capped brood and the nurse bees put them in another new hive, and all are doing well. I should have new queens by now. I had plenty of queen cells 3 or 4 days ago.
The point is if you are concirend with the weather I don't think I will be much of an issue from here out.
 I don't know if this helps, but good luck.

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 09:34:21 pm »
I did my split, but judging by a few posts here they were only strong and not booming, I just wanted to increase the genetics of that group.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 09:39:56 pm »
Annette, are you seeing drone brood, capped? Capped drone brood and queen cups plus time of year (early spring) bees are preparing for reproductive swarms.

If weather is warm enough and drones are flying, make splits. If queen cells and capped drone brood, make splits ASAP!

Sounds like it is most likely time for your splits but you want drones flying if you will have them make their own queens.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline jsmob

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 09:59:04 pm »
Drones are flying :-D

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 12:37:31 am »
I appreciate the replies JP and Rex.

I would call this hive very strong, but not super crowded. But since they have started to make queen cups and one rather larger queen cell (although nothing inside it) I was thinking they might be getting ready to swarm.

I did not notice any drone brood, but I only went through one super. I do expect them to make queens, so I better be sure the drones are flying. But Rex you say the drones are flying down there. I better check again to see if any drone brood.  Will check tomorrow.

The reason I was asking this question:

The 4H club is expecting a split from me, but they aren't quite ready with their equipment so I am trying to hold off for a bit longer before I split.

I truly appreciate the replies from you dear people.  I'm glad you didn't send another crystal ball like Finski!!!

Annette

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2010, 12:49:10 am »
How long are you trying to hold off for?

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2010, 02:37:06 am »
But since they have started to make queen cups and one rather larger queen cell (although nothing inside it) I was thinking they might be getting ready to swarm.

Dear Anette. cups are not any signs. If you know that they are a sign, you surely know when they swarm.

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2010, 03:06:12 am »
Hi Annette!

This past week the sun's been out and my bees have surprised me with the nectar they been bringing in.
I added suppers today. If you want to make a split, can do anytime now.
If you want to hold off, then put the heaviest box on the bottom of the two,
then add a supper on top of the stack.
Then split later as you want.

They'll move honey from under the brood to the super above the brood,
drawing out the wax. This gives them something to do and keeps them busy while also giving them room to store above the brood nest. This will make them not even think about swarming, but will get to work with greed and room to store. You can make your split later as you wish and will maybe have a super of early honey.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2010, 02:58:34 pm »
JP the equipment should be ready by end of next week, then I can split. I think the cold, rainy weather gave the impression that Spring would never come and now all of a sudden we are into the 70's. The 4H club got caught off guard, although I have been trying to push them to move faster.

Ray

Thanks for this info. Very interesting stuff indeed. Never knew they would move the honey up from down below. Of course the heaviest supers are the ones on the top right now.

OK I have much to do right now.

Thanks guys

Annette

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2010, 03:03:06 pm »
But since they have started to make queen cups and one rather larger queen cell (although nothing inside it) I was thinking they might be getting ready to swarm.

Dear Anette. cups are not any signs. If you know that they are a sign, you surely know when they swarm.

Finski I know about queen cups and that the hives make them all the time, but these cups are very big, one looked almost like a completed queen cell, but open on one end and empty inside. I was actually surprised to find them empty.

Anyway, they are on their way to swarming for sure. Will head them off if possible. I appreciate your help Finski.

Annette