Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Methods of Installing Packaged Bees  (Read 3290 times)

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
Methods of Installing Packaged Bees
« on: April 24, 2008, 09:56:32 am »
I am new to BK and just installed my first two packages this past weekend.  I have read about installing new package bees using a variety of methods such as:

1.  Shaking the bees out of the through the syrup can opening
2.  Removing the screen from one side of the shipping box and dumping the bees into the new hive
3.  Placing the whole shipping box into the hive after removing the syrup can and letting the bees walk out

Installing the queen appears to be the same in all methods if you use the slow "candy" release by hanging the queen cage between the frames (unless you immediately release her).

I understand there are some advantages/disadvantages of each method but what methods have worked best?

Thanks!
"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Methods of Installing Packaged Bees
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 10:11:56 am »
TwoBees, welcome to our forum.  You have found THE place to get your questions answered, you have already began this process.  We welcome new members and love what they can add to our forum.  Never think that a question is not deserving of a great answer.  You answers to your questions will come.  When you have a minute, why don't you tell us a little bit about yourself in the greetings forum?  We are an inquisitive group of very friendly people and love to hear what new members are up to. 

How did you hive your packages?  Which method did you use?  Have a beautiful and most wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 10:19:22 am »
They all pretty much work. The bees want out #1, and they want to orient where the queen is #2

I like the direct release method as well for a package installation, the bees are already accilmated to her scent, so waiting to release her is a moot point.

I like the beemaster method: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a4a-Tw-qFI&feature=related

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 10:43:52 am »
I would recommend #2, less stress on the bees and you.
If you don't direct release the queen,  DON'T separate the frame top bars to make room for the cage.  If you don't keep all the frames tight together,  they WILL build comb between the frames instead of drawing out the foundation.

Of course if you have drawn comb, it would not be an issue.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 11:26:58 am »
With my packages, I removed 5 frames of foundation and set the whole shipping box inside of the hive body after hanging the queen between the fourth and fifth frames (removed the syrup can, of course).  Then, the next day I went back into the hive to remove the shipping box and replace the 5 frames of foundation that I removed upon initial install.  This is the method that was recommended by the apirary where I bought the packages.

My initial concern is that I had to go back into the hive the next day and I will go back into the hive this weekend to remove the queen cage.  I am concerned that my opening the hive so many times will be a problem.  Not to mention the bees that I end up killing in the process! 
"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"

Offline BMAC

• Field Bee
    • http://WWW.OLEMCDONALD.COM
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 12:20:56 pm »
I wouldnt sweat killing the few bees you will/may kill.  You always have cannon fodder and many of them are field bees that just worked hard at the Almond fields and will die soon anyway....
God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!

Offline UtahBees

• House Bee
    • My Photos on Flickr
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 12:26:10 pm »
This year I did the Beemaster method, and LOVED it. If you haven't seen the YouTube video of it posted above, then it's the one that you describe as taking the side-screen off (#2).

I first take the syrup can off, take the queen out, replace the can - but place it on top, and insert the queen in the hive. With needle-nose pliers, I removed the staple boards keeping the screen on. All in one motion, I take the syrup can completely off, bend the screen out and SHAKE the bees into the hive.

My hive had 3 frames removed. Below is a photo:

Thanks Beemaster! I sent the video to all my beekeeping buddies a few weeks before our packages arrived!

Have a great day!

Scott

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 11:30:46 pm »
With my packages, I removed 5 frames of foundation and set the whole shipping box inside of the hive body after hanging the queen between the fourth and fifth frames (removed the syrup can, of course).  Then, the next day I went back into the hive to remove the shipping box and replace the 5 frames of foundation that I removed upon initial install.  This is the method that was recommended by the apirary where I bought the packages.

My initial concern is that I had to go back into the hive the next day and I will go back into the hive this weekend to remove the queen cage.  I am concerned that my opening the hive so many times will be a problem.  Not to mention the bees that I end up killing in the process! 

Another way to do it is to set a 5 frame nuc above the hive body your putting them into and hang the queen cage in the center of that box.  Place the nuc above it and place the entire package inside, can removed, and opening pointing down.  Use a couple of boards, 1 on each side to cover the exposed areas at the top of the hive body or 1 board so the nuc is set to 1 side.  Next day come back and remove cage and nuc box and check queen cage.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2008, 10:03:26 am »
I have done them all.  They all work.  I shake them in and direct release the queen.

No matter what you do, one occasionally moves in next door and leaves the queen.  Your tendency will be to blame this on your method, whichever it was.  I don't think it makes any difference.

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2008, 10:38:07 am »
TwoBees, welcome to our forum, you have indeed found THE place to ask your questions, tell your stories, we are a bunch of caring people that love new members.  So, welcome.  When you get some time, tell us a little bit about yourself in the greetings forum, we love to know that new members are up to, welcome, and have that wonderful and beautiful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2008, 12:25:11 am »
I just finished showing my daughter how to hive a package of bees.  The hardest part was the 2 1/2 hour drive to get them and return.  I had forgotten they extended the Tulip Festive until May 1 due to the late snows so traffic between Here and Cedar Glen Bees was horendous.  It took an extra hour due to traffic.
Anyway, The hive had been set up and in place for a month so there was little to do in that regard.  I demonstrated both the lazy and 2 standard methods of installing a package in a hive and then showed her my way.  My method took less than 5 minutes start to finish with over 90% of the bees in the hive and the queen free.  Here the hardest part was getting the cork out of the queen cage, luckily they put it in sideways so care use of knife and needle nose pliers removed the cork.  They used a California queen cage (queen only no attendants) so I placed the cage in the normal place but with the hole down so the queen was out almost immediately.  Made sure all frames were in place and centered in the hive then gave 2 wacks on the box to knock the bees into the hive.  The few bees remaining were allowed to crawl out of the box and into the hive via the bottom entrance. Put on 2 can feeders and closed it up. 
She was surprized is was so easy, it was down after 5 pm PST without any protective or hiver equipment except the Leatherman tool I always wear on my belt. 

BTW my belt, the one that holds up my pants, always has a leatherman tool, folding knife w/6 inch blade, mini-flashlight, Knife sharpener, Extra clip (loaded, of course) for my ccw pistol, a 16 foot tape measure and the automatic garage door opener so I can get what tools I need when I need them.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2008, 01:07:11 am »
Brian, oh that was so nice that you got to show your Daughter the ropes, beautiful.  She is fortunate to have a great mentor such as you, with so many, many years of beekeeping experience that she can draw advice from, just from the tips of her fingertips.  I bet she has you wrapped around her fingertips, just like all girls have their Daddies, hee, hee.  Beautiful and most wonderful day, lovin' our life.  Cindi

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2008, 01:13:17 am »
Now I know why my Bee Install Video has been see 25 THOUSAND TIMES - thanks all.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2008, 08:38:26 pm »
I appreciate all of the information about hiving new bees.  I guess I am just a little concerned since everything is new to me.

Thanks to everyone for your help!!

anything