Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My cutout yesterday  (Read 2861 times)

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
My cutout yesterday
« on: June 08, 2008, 09:38:08 am »
Holy defensive bees, Batman! Never had this kind of experience, it was a bit of a shock. I didn't take many pictures, because once I got the hive open, I couldn't get the camera out easily.

They stung me through my suit, mostly on the arm reaching into the hive, but also on my back and chest when they could. I moved 40' away to take a break and drink some water (it hit 95 here yesterday, and this side of the house got full sun), and they were so mad they were stinging everyone they could find. Anyone outside was game. I figured walking away would be enough, so when I got a bit away, I took off my suit, and they went crazy, got hit a couple times on my face, a bunch on my scalp, neck...threw my suit back on and never took it off again. Drank through the screen. I figure I got stung about 100 times, all told.

Outside of the house:

Zoom on the entrance:

Exposing the hive:

The bulk of the hive was behind these bricks. The mortar was totally crumbling, so I could remove them by hand. The bees were too hot to keep taking pictures after that, so this is the end of the show.

Things I learned:

1. Get a bee vac, pronto. Being able to suck up tons of bees removes them from the equation.
2. Charge more for removals 30' off the ground, even if the client provides a bucket.
3. Wear or bring a sweatshirt for under the suit, regardless of outside temp, for use if the bees turn out to be hot.
4. Don't take off the suit if the bees are hot.

I have another cutout scheduled for Wednesday, so...

"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
Re: My cutout yesterday
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 09:55:47 am »
Man you can keep your cutouts, they can't be worth the money to me!! I don't want to get stung once let alone a hundred times, no way Hose'! If a swarm comes my way yes ok, I may attmept it if its only a little off the ground. Hats off to you my freind! And you seem to be a glutten for punishment, heading out again to do another. HEHE, good luck maybe, its a bunch of  old retired and slow bees. Tell them to just get in the bucket and shuffle them along. Promise them a game room.  :lol:
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 10:18:52 am »
Holy defensive bees, Batman! Never had this kind of experience, it was a bit of a shock. I didn't take many pictures, because once I got the hive open, I couldn't get the camera out easily.

They stung me through my suit, mostly on the arm reaching into the hive, but also on my back and chest when they could. I moved 40' away to take a break and drink some water (it hit 95 here yesterday, and this side of the house got full sun), and they were so mad they were stinging everyone they could find. Anyone outside was game. I figured walking away would be enough, so when I got a bit away, I took off my suit, and they went crazy, got hit a couple times on my face, a bunch on my scalp, neck...threw my suit back on and never took it off again. Drank through the screen. I figure I got stung about 100 times, all told.

Outside of the house:

Zoom on the entrance:

Exposing the hive:

The bulk of the hive was behind these bricks. The mortar was totally crumbling, so I could remove them by hand. The bees were too hot to keep taking pictures after that, so this is the end of the show.

Things I learned:

1. Get a bee vac, pronto. Being able to suck up tons of bees removes them from the equation.
2. Charge more for removals 30' off the ground, even if the client provides a bucket.
3. Wear or bring a sweatshirt for under the suit, regardless of outside temp, for use if the bees turn out to be hot.

The bee vac will make a difference when there is lots of attitude, sometimes they will throw in the towel when numbers are down significantly, can't always count on it, but at least there are less to attack.

Get your price.

Smoke and more smoke can sometimes dissuade attackers while you are removing combs.

I like your never give up attitude! ;)

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 11:22:13 am »
I gotta say , doing a cutout yesterday is insane. Heat index over 100F, of course they were hot! I was asked to do one yesterday as well. I told homeowner it would be a grand to do one in that heat. It not an emergency anymore and i will set it up to do later next week for a lot less.

Yes they sting through clothing and gear. Particularly when its sticks to you like a skin b/c its over a 100F.

I too need a beevac. Spoke w/ some beeks in NJ who do cutouts and saw their set-ups this weekend. All use various styles of vac. No one was alike.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline MollySuesHoney

• New Bee
    • Molly Sue's Honey
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 11:57:59 am »

Outside of the house:

Zoom on the entrance:

Exposing the hive:

Things I learned:

The bee vac will make a difference when there is lots of attitude, sometimes they will throw in the towel when numbers are down significantly, can't always count on it, but at least there are less to attack.

Get your price.

Smoke and more smoke can sometimes dissuade attackers while you are removing combs.

I like your never give up attitude! ;)

...JP

Gotta agree with JP on this. Also, get a ventilated suit.  They are worth the money if you are doing many cutouts.  I have an UltraBreeze and it is worth its weight in gold.  It is very comfortable and the little girls cannot sting through it.  I have the jacket and it is about all I need doing cutouts.  They rarely go for anything below the belt.
Lawrence Underwood

Mobile, Alabama