Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive Feeder Choice  (Read 2763 times)

Offline Chrisd4421

• House Bee
Hive Feeder Choice
« on: November 19, 2009, 04:21:07 pm »
Hi all,
   Been reading lots and lots of info...next question..feeders...I know opinions will vary....boardman feeder vs. top hive feeder.....why one over the other?

Thanks!!
Chris

Offline jclark96

• House Bee
Re: Hive Feeder Choice
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 05:32:45 pm »
These are the only two that I have used. I haven't had any problems with robbing, but I always keep a cut down entrance reducer on when the feeder is installed. It really breaks down to how often do you want to fill it? Do you want to feed when it is colder out? The hive top feeder holds about two gallons while a large entrance feeder only holds about 1.5 quarts. Also the hive top feeder will be kept warmer by the hive, while the entrance feeder is out in the cold. Hope this helps.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 05:51:12 pm »
In the spring, either is fine.
In the fall, hive top feeder with VERY small hive entrance.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 05:55:52 pm »
Chris,

Welcome,

Hive Top Feeder is the better choice, holds more & less trips to the hive, you'll need to screen in the entire top of the feeder or else you'll drown a lot of bees.This feeder is great for spring and late summer/fall feeding when it is warm. The Boardman just causes robbing, it is useful to give bees water if there is no source nearby. There are other options to feeding, but I don't want to overwhelm you.

BTW, where in NJ do you reside ?

BH

Offline Chrisd4421

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 06:37:53 pm »
BeeHopper,
    I am in Plainfield, NJ...Union County....This coming spring will be my first year bk'ing so it should be lots of learning experiences.  I am trying to find a winter/spring course to help me along....I have done great on the knowledge area from this and other boards, books, etc...but nothing beats hands-on learning.

Thanks for the welcome and I am glad to see others from NJ~~
Chris

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 07:24:32 pm »
BeeHopper,
    I am in Plainfield, NJ...Union County....This coming spring will be my first year bk'ing so it should be lots of learning experiences.  I am trying to find a winter/spring course to help me along....I have done great on the knowledge area from this and other boards, books, etc...but nothing beats hands-on learning.

Thanks for the welcome and I am glad to see others from NJ~~
Chris

Chris,

Plainfield, , yup, you way up there  :)
As far as a hands on course of study, click here  and get on the mailing list, Rutgers offers a great 2.5 day weekend course(s) in the Spring and the folks that run it are great too.
http://www.cpe.rutgers.edu/courses/current/ae0401cc.html

Also here is the NJ State Beekeepers Association website, find a branch closest to you.
http://www.njbeekeepers.org/

And of course, you'll find a great deal of knowledge and friends here too.  :-D

Offline mswartfager

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 07:43:53 pm »
jclark96...."The hive top feeder will be kept warmer by the hive." 

This fall I had ice forming in the hive top feeder and took that as a hint to get it off there since I thought it would surely cause the hive to be cooler than it should have been. 

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 10:27:01 pm »
I have tried them all, but the only one I use now is an empty super with an inverted jar with a few nail holes poked in it.  I use quart jars but am going to move to a gallon jar.  No drown bees and it is internal so as to not encourage robbing.  It is easy and cheap.
Brian

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 11:45:55 pm »
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 11:53:27 pm »
I use the one that sits in where the frame sits. You have to move the top over just enough to expose the feeder. I do not use telescoping covers though. Just the flat flush ones, with rock on top.
With the proper wire fixture in this feeder I have very little drowning. :)doak

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009, 07:27:23 am »
I use the one that sits in where the frame sits.

That's a division board feeder
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2009, 05:52:54 pm »
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2009, 05:26:46 pm »
 First off, my weather is different. I use the inverted jar/bucket feeder, a hole in the outer cover. No inner covers. The only time I ever had any robbing from feeding was when I put homemade HBH in one and not in the others close by.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda