Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: cut out -no brood  (Read 1854 times)

Offline NCA

• New Bee
cut out -no brood
« on: March 06, 2011, 06:07:54 am »
I did a cut out on a massive oak tree on Thursday and as soon as the tree cutters knocked it down we realized getting the bees out was going to be difficult.They called me the day before the tree was to come down so there was no time to do a trap out and there was a buyer for the trunk who needed it whole so cutting it up wasn't an option but they were nice enough to give me whatever time i needed to get the bees out once it was in there yard. The hive itself was about 6ft high and 2ft wide but it was woven through all the cracks in the hollow of the tree. We got the majority of it out after about 6 hours of work and were able to get the bees to relocate to a nuc box placed inside of the tree with some of there comb placed inside. There was plenty of honey and pollen stored up and it was a very healthy hive but we were never able to locate any brood lots of empty comb and old brood comb but nothing capped and the only comb left in the tree was fresh and unused we could see it just not able to reach it.

So what Im wondering is did i miss it somehow or is there a possibility that they had been queenless for some time.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
Re: cut out -no brood
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 06:14:38 am »
Do you live in FL. MA. TX. ND:? Put your location in your proflie it will help you a lot.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline phil c

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 06:27:17 am »
Did you locate the Queen?
AMC cars, Jeeps, Mineapolis Moline Tractors, Bees, More stuff than I have time to play with

Offline NCA

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 06:42:26 am »
sorry ill fix that i live in Lompoc California and no i havent found the queen yet

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 06:50:07 am »
Do you see flying bees (tree or nuc box) bring in pollen  :? If you see pollen come in most like lee you got a Queen.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 07:13:24 am by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline NCA

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 07:38:05 am »
ill have to observe them in the day time i placed the nuc in the tree a few days ago then retrieved it earlier tonight i could see bees at the opening and hear them inside but i haven't looked inside yet and there were no bees left in the tree trunk.

These bees were really beat up through all this, the wood cutters did the best they could to help save this hive and were very sympathetic to what i was trying to do but at the end of the day they still have there job to do as well.     

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 11:21:18 am »
Don't worry that you didn't find brood, look at what they are doing now. There are a number of reasons we could speculate as to why you didn't see brood but now focus on what's in the nuc.

Feed them and gauge their progress. As Jim mentioned a good sign is bringing in pollen but give them some time and then go through the nuc to see what's happening, eggs larvae, that's what you are looking for as well as a queen.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com