Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Slatted Rack  (Read 5312 times)

Offline rail

• House Bee
Slatted Rack
« on: October 26, 2011, 07:49:36 pm »
Slatted rack recommendation; Rossman or Betterbee?
Sirach

Offline Hemlock

• Field Bee
Re: Slatted Rack
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 08:17:19 pm »
Other than price i didn't see a difference.  I built my own.  Which isn't any different either.
Make Mead!

Offline Shanevrr

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 08:18:44 pm »
i dont see the purpose or expense
www.Valleybeesupply.com
"A responsible beekeeper is a successful one"
Shane C.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 08:51:06 pm »
I don't use them either, but if you want to have them, remember shipping in the cost when comparing.   Also, check to see if the Rossman's may be made out of cypress which may last longer.   

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 09:48:32 pm »
I notice less bearding on hives with bottom entrances and a slated rack.  Seems to give the field bees a place to hang out inside as opposed to outside where the skunks can get them.  I don’t think they’re critical, but they do have some useful purposes.

Offline Shanevrr

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 10:12:20 pm »
I don’t think they’re critical, but they do have some useful purposes.

Like?
www.Valleybeesupply.com
Shane C.

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 10:29:15 pm »
Like:  Room for the field bees to roost under the brood chamber.  Less bearding, less brood nest congestion.

Like:  Getting the bees inside the box and and out of the elements, animals, and sudden cold rain.  Less dead bees.

Like:  Breaking up incoming drafts to some degree.

I’m NOT a big proponent of the things myself, but these are things I have seen when using them.  My preference is a top/mid entrance to solve all the above noted items.

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 11:31:34 pm »
I agree with BlueBee.  They aren't critical but I have them on all 3 of my hives.  I noticed a dramatic drop in bearding the day they went on.

Also, the queen will lay right to the bottom of the frames in the bottom box as they are out of the way of any draft coming in from the bottom entrance.  And it keeps any chill off the bottom brood.
linda d

Offline Shanevrr

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 11:32:18 pm »
ok just wondering :-D
www.Valleybeesupply.com
Shane C.

Offline Hemlock

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 07:59:38 am »
Also, the queen will lay right to the bottom of the frames in the bottom box as they are out of the way of any draft coming in from the bottom entrance.  And it keeps any chill off the bottom brood.
That's the reason why i use them.  It functions as an internal heater/air conditioner.  Since they can also fan the hive too.
Make Mead!

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 01:10:15 pm »
Sorry to jump in so late here, but I have an alternative that I learned from Beth Kahkonen at Washington State University during their Field Day this past June.

Instead of making/buying a separate piece of equipment, try putting a western under your bottom brood box.  The western needs to have either all new foundation in it, or foundation that has only been used as brood comb (so it needs to be dry).  Do not use foundation that has drawn comb that was used for honey supers.  Beth says if you do, the bees will have an increased need to feel they need to work the comb, defeating the purpose of providing extra space.

In our group its referred to as, "Beth's Basement" or "the rec room".  After adding it to half my hives (I used new, undrawn foundation), I noticed a huge decrease in bearding (as in nonexistent on those hives) and decreased swarm cell building.  I really like the concept because many of us have extra westerns around and this didn't involve acquiring yet another type of "exclusive use" equipment that I would have to find storage for.

Offline MT204

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 10:04:22 pm »
So what's a "western"? :?

Offline Hemlock

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 10:13:41 pm »
It's a Medium Super.  What many use for Brood boxes and Honey Supers.  It's 6 5/8" in height.
Make Mead!

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2011, 12:00:30 am »
i thought a medium box was called an illinois super.

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2011, 09:31:34 am »
In my researching I have learned that Illinois and Western are just different names for same thing,
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2011, 05:21:00 pm »
Will they draw the foundation in the basment ? And do you take them off in the winter?

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2011, 12:28:36 pm »
No.  The ones I placed were still undrawn when I pulled them mid-October.  I checked with Beth about leaving or pulling them and she said to pull them.  This is for the same reason we would want to anyway, to remove any extra space that might rob heat from the bees, but it was nice to have her confirmation when trying a new thing.

Offline woodchopper

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2011, 07:53:53 pm »
That's the reason why i use them.  It functions as an internal heater/air conditioner.  Since they can also fan the hive too.
Same here. We use them on all of our hives and found out another advantage. When we do powder sugar treatments with our bellows tool it really does a great job because of all the girls hanging out there.
Every man looks at his wood pile with a kind of affection- Thoreau

Offline rail

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2011, 10:16:47 pm »
Received slatted racks from Rossman, I am pleased with service and quality! :)
Sirach

Offline WPG

• House Bee
  • The Land Between Two Rivers
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2011, 02:59:06 am »
In my researching I have learned that Illinois and Western are just different names for same thing,

I'm afraid internet searches are incomplete. And inaccurate.

They are NOT the same.

The 'Medium Super' was developed and promoted by Dadant's of Hamilton, Illinois and therefore refered to as the 'illinois super' by others.

It is 6 5/8" deep.

The 'Western Super' was developed and sold originally by Western Bee Supply. Therefore refered to as the 'western super'.

It is 7 5/8" deep.

The original width of an 1x8" board.

The Western Deep is really the ideal depth for 5 & 8 frame Garden Hives.
Good storage, yet light weight and fewer pieces.
Push, Pull or get Out of the Way

anything