Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Pistol and Subgun Course  (Read 15858 times)

Offline Carriage House Farm

• House Bee
    • Carriage House Farm
Pistol and Subgun Course
« on: November 22, 2007, 12:01:27 am »
Having Fun this year before the weather goes bad on us...

We run a little competition every year.  My friend is a local LEO who designs the course and I build it on nice spot away from the rest of my farm and another friend builds target holders and reactive steel plates.

Me running the course and having some fun on a sub gun.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
Re: Pistol and Subgun Course
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 12:32:06 am »
Pretty cool stuff there. I also like to shoot, mostly rifles and sub-guns.  I have shot up to 400m and very comfortable with 30 round clip into target at 300m. I would like to see more of your setup, it sounds like something I could enjoy.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 07:38:31 am »
That's pretty cool.  You guys are doing some serious shooting to take down that 4x4 on the left :-D  I use to do a lot of target shooting when I was younger, mainly .22s.  Dad and I would spend hours competing knocking down shell casings and cutting string.   Unfortunately I have no time anymore.  Maybe get to shoot my pistol 2 times a year.    On a side note, my son went to his first cub scout camp this year and got 2nd out of 60 some kids in the BB gun competition.  Lost by just one point.  All the other kids in the top 5 where 2 years older than him :lol:   

I'd like to see more of your set-up too.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 01:15:25 am »
   Excellent pics.  Was able to try a 'Tommy" gun once.  I'm addicted!!!

Unfortunately I don't get enough time at the range and neither does my better half and the munchkins.  Need to start working trap and skeet with them this winter!

I have suprised some folks when they shoot rifles, shotguns and pistols the differences in disciplines for each.  They are amazed it isn't something that you just do, but safety is paramount.  They are no longer afraid but they definitely learn respect and appreciation for a well made piece of equipment.
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline Carriage House Farm

• House Bee
    • Carriage House Farm
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 10:50:00 pm »
Sorry it took so long.

This is a various collection of pics from events or just "days" when we get together.  I mow it from time to time and take the Bobcat down two times a year to rebuild or make new berms.  Sometimes we cook out and spend more time chewing the fat than actually shooting.   :-D

About half of us are your typical gun owners with maybe a couple more guns than the average gun owner and the rest are cops or NFA/Class III owners/vendors....which makes some shoots fairly interesting.

Matchlock to belt fed, we pretty much shoot it all...even a Black Powder Bowling Ball Mortar.

And some You Tube videos I put up...a couple of which are not. obviously, from my farm. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc3kNG3M-i0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7D3fF_5OUE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbgkI8rbpLk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0z1Ir4vs50
Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 11:23:24 pm »
Richard, those are some really neat pictures.  I was intrigued by them, thank you for putting so many on the forum, it really did give a great look into what you guys are all up to.  Yea!!!!  Have a wonderful and great day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007, 04:18:54 pm »
Holy guacamole trespassers beware!!!

Sincerely, JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 05:48:53 am »
Wow!  Freakin awesome!  I thought I was cool plinkin with my old SKS, 9mm taurus, blackpowder revolver, and flintlock!  The morter at the end took the cake dude, insane!

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 01:26:10 am »
I usually use a spade to turn the soil in my gardens :-D

TOOO COOOOL!
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 02:08:50 pm »
OOhhh, cool pics!  Sounds really fun!  I haven't had the time the last few years to "play".  We went to a gun club between Blk Diamond & Ravensdale.   My husband did matches & really enjoyed it.  I like practicing w/my kimber 45..a bit of an overkill on raccoons but very satisfying as they decimated my chix in the past.  Would be great to have the room to make our own course, more incentive cause you don't have to pack everything up & drive there....You are lucky!

Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 10:32:33 am »
Jody, that is one thing that I wish I had learned to do, and that was shoot a gun.  I think it is wonderfully cool when women can do these things, KathyP is another one who can tote a gun, that gun toting mamma, and she also has ridden her mare on overnights, packing that for protection.  My Son-in-Law has excellence in this area and has taught his Son to shoot, they go to the gun range, my Husband is taking a firearms course, and so on.  I probably never will, but that is one of my small regrets in life.  Beautiful and most wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 10:59:37 am »
go for it cindi.  the first couple of rounds you fire, you will be nervous.  by the 3rd or 4th pull of the trigger, you will get the rush.  never pass on the chance to learn a skill.  never know when it might come in handy!   :-D

you can join the PPM club.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 11:21:28 am »
Cindi,  I agree totally w/Kathy.  Never pass on an opportunity to learn something new!  You are surrounded by knowledgable people & have a safe environment w/a gun club close to you.  It is such a rush when you actually hit a target!  VERY satisfying if you get to shoot something that falls down, disintegrates or makes noise of some kind!  I am pretty good w/AR-15 from way far away, you can barely see the target, it's fun to hit something so far away!   :-DShotgun & skeet are fun too, they blow to bits!  I have a story on that one...suffice to say girls rule! 8-)  We are much the same it seems from our posts. I hate the water too & can almost guarantee that you will love shooting.  It is also very satisfying to take care of a slinking, sneaky evil predator after your animal family members!! :evil:  You know for certain that the particular beast won't be back!!  There is also the personal protection factor. I always packed riding, even in my little area here.  You never know what homosapien slime will threaten you or your animals.  There are also cougar, bear, coyotes & who knows what else in these woods. I always ride w/my goat & dog, they can hear, smell & see whats there as I am dealing w/the horse but are small enough to be prey items. You will also be ale to defend your grandkids, nieces & nephews...just think of how you would feel just having to watch someone go after them & have nothing but a shovel or stick...I got into this because of my daughter & the daycare kids..there are just too many weirdos that feel they can do anything to anyone w/no consequences! Thank you society!!  :-x  Go for it Girl!  Jody

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2008, 10:38:09 am »
Kathy and Jody, another seed has been sown.  I am thinking, I am listening, I may be learnin' too.  There is nothing more than what my Son-in-Law would love than to take his Mother-in-Law to the gun range and teach her to shoot.  That would make his day!!!  Just like all the little tips on riding my bike that he is giving me.  I am a loved woman, I am a grateful woman for all the wonderful people in my life, and that goes for my forum friends too.  That beautiful and wonderful day is ours.  Cindi

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2008, 11:09:52 am »
YAYS for Cindi!  One thing to think about, not all guns are the same.  Each brand & style have different grips, weights & all.  When you decide to get your own, go out & try all types to find what fits your hand the best.  It's more fun than shopping for shoes!!  :evil:   I have small hands so many were too wide & heavy for me, even with different grips.  I ended up w/Kimber .45. All price ranges too but with something this important price shouldn't be a factor.  My husbands HK cost less...hee hee :roll:.  Also, try to get the ones the family will need for personal protection the same caliber as it's just easier to keep track of ammo.  There isn't that much difference in kick back or noise, a little but negligable if you train w/yours.  Then practice, practice shooting & taking it apart, putting it together, slapping a new clip in...revolvers don't jam but hold less & are slower to reload.  Just a few random thoughts rattling around in this emptly head!  Make your Son in Law happy.  Anything you can do for family bonding is a good thing!   Sun is sposed to come back this aft....we shall see!  Jody

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2008, 12:00:52 pm »
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2008, 06:34:08 am »
AWESOME!!!

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2008, 11:10:02 am »
poka-bee,  i like my .45 too.  got a small one because even though i have bigger hands, i always had a problem with the bigger .45.  if you get a revolver, get speed loaders.  i have a couple for my .357 and it makes quite a difference in how quickly you can get them reloaded.
forget the 9mm.  it's about as good as a pop gun unless you use hollow points and they are expensive.  when the military went to the 9 to be compatible with NATO issue rounds, we all were very disappointed.  finally the military allowed personal sidearms  in the field, but did not guarantee that ammo would be available.  if you look at pictures of what the officers carry in the field, you'll see that most carry the .45 :-)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2008, 01:03:53 pm »
Hey Kathy, when's the last time you went running around in the woods like the video clip?? hehheh, I wouldn't even have to shoot, just the sight of me dressed like that would send them holding their eyes & screaming for mercy traumatized for life!   :evil: :evil:  I love my kimber & agree with you about the 9mm, they are like poking a badger w/a spoon..I have a .38 revolver but much prefer the .45!  Jody

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2008, 10:10:05 am »
Kathy and Jody, I am not kidding, hearing you gals talking about these things has triggered (hee, hee, get the pun) something inside of me.  I know I won't have any time for this kind of learning until the fall, but I have something that is being nurtured deep inside.  My Son-in-Law and Husband will be thrilled to death.  Have that beautiful and most wonderful day, keep it that way and love our life.  Cindi

anything