Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: extracting time is here  (Read 3350 times)

Offline danno

• Super Bee
extracting time is here
« on: August 02, 2012, 09:26:00 am »
This year instead of spending a couple of days pulling and then extracting all at once I'm spreading it out.  I pulled and process 20 yesterday, leaving at least one super on each colony.   3 more yards to go.   One with 12 and 2 with 20 colonies each

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: extracting time is here
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 02:14:43 pm »
I just can extract a box or 2 a night, when I have time.   I have 2 full pails sitting in the kitchen ready to bottle.  Just waiting on the orders.   Sold  a crap load of jars this summer and the sales have slowed now.   

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 02:21:35 pm »
I still have 87 supers still on.   I sold alot of small bottles so far this summer but as summer wheres on people start buying the 3#, 5# and 60# pails.  I sold 18 - 5#ers yesterday.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 02:28:33 pm »
The wife just told me that a gal is coming over tonight to get 5 gallons.   :-D 

Offline BrentX

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 02:38:52 pm »
Spreading out the extraction in bit size segments sounds like a good idea.  I don't like to have supers lying around full of honey and not on a hive.

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 04:00:49 pm »
One summer when the girls were particularly prolific putting on a shallow 10 frame super a week from scratch for 5 straight weeks, I just took a super off one each week and put it straight into the freezer until I had time to process them. I was totally preoccupied with a major project that summer and fall and had no spare time.  Was lucky to be even check to see that the supers were filling up so fast.  I think I got the last super processed in January!  Of course it helped that i had a big chest freezer with plenty of room to spare.
linda d

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 09:22:15 pm »
These sound like great problems to have :)
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 08:06:33 am »
I'm still new beek, keeping the super in the freezer for an extended time does't make it crystalize.  I put my combs for comb honey in the freezer for a couple days then into a sealed container until ready to use.

Joe

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 09:18:15 am »
I'm still new beek, keeping the super in the freezer for an extended time does't make it crystalize.  I put my combs for comb honey in the freezer for a couple days then into a sealed container until ready to use.
Joe
It doesn't make it crystalize.  As for combs I cut mine. Let them drip on a screen for a couple of days.   Place them in the boxes and freeze until needed

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 11:26:07 am »
Is there a reason that honey in honeycomb containers is considered undesirable? I don't drain mine outside of the container, but just cut it and box it, letting it fill with honey in the container.
The pedigree of honey
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 01:28:17 pm »
Is there a reason that honey in honeycomb containers is considered undesirable? I don't drain mine outside of the container, but just cut it and box it, letting it fill with honey in the container.
There is nothing wrong with it except appearance.   I try to get my markets to leave them laying flat but someone always stands them on end "so customers can see them better".  All that liquid honey runs to the bottom and looks bad

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 01:34:47 pm »
There is nothing wrong with it except appearance.   I try to get my markets to leave them laying flat but someone always stands them on end "so customers can see them better".  All that liquid honey runs to the bottom and looks bad

It can leak out of the container as well.  Then you end up with local bees and sometimes wasps checking out the smell.  That's never good when your trying to draw in foot traffic.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2012, 04:56:33 pm »
I'm trying to space out the extractions also, two weeks ago I pulled three deeps and four shallows off the hives and put the empty boxes back on wet instead of stacking them in the yard and having them get robbed out. I was out checking the hives Tuesday planning to pull any empty boxes and guess what, the girls were busy filling them back up again. They had just about filled and capped two of the deeps and one or two of the shallows.  The plan this year is to only pull what I can extract in one day and with six hives it looks like I will be extracting every two or three weeks till the flow is over. The hard part is keeping to the plan. I was down looking at the hives today and could smell the honey curing from 50 feet away. I'm expecting to do at least two more extractions by mid September just to get the extra equipment off the hives for the fall.

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 07:57:09 pm »

It can leak out of the container as well.  Then you end up with local bees and sometimes wasps checking out the smell.  That's never good when your trying to draw in foot traffic.
And that's EXACTLY what happened at my farmer's markets last week :) The heat made the honey expand and start oozing out of my containers.
The pedigree of honey
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 08:57:02 pm »
Botttled some today, 37 pints and 2 quarts of comb honey and 24 pints of honey.  Had some for supper. 

Joe

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2012, 09:06:21 am »
I am alittle less that 1/3 of the way done and have done about 1500#s
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 09:09:37 am by danno »

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2012, 07:22:02 pm »
This is my first year, started with 3 hives(that swarmed), left a unfinished super on each hive and with spring and summer got close to 200#.

Joe

anything