Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: So, a large RV resort is being built next to my apiary  (Read 7888 times)

Offline Bill W.

• House Bee
    • Bees by the Sea
So, a large RV resort is being built next to my apiary
« on: August 27, 2008, 05:51:58 pm »
So, a large RV resort is being built next to my apiary

I've got 20+ hives here in the summer and it looks like my property is about to boxed in on two sides by a bunch of RV lots.  I can't help but think this is going to bring challenges.

I'm split between the idea of contacting the developer, explaining the situation, and giving him the opportunity to build fences, buffers, or whatever he sees fit to limit contact - or - keeping my mouth shut and hoping I have located them where few people are likely to notice them.

The thing is, my hives truly saturate this area during the summer.  It was hard to find a dandelion without a bee on it in July.

I'm used to having very few neighbors (who like the bees) so I am now getting nervous.

Any suggestions?

Offline mtman1849

• Assistant Social Director
  • House Bee
Re: So, a large RV resort is being built next to my apiary
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 06:57:49 pm »
If they can be placed so they can't be seen I wouldn't think it would be a problem out of sight out of mind.

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 07:50:45 pm »
It's hard to get an idea of just how close these RV's and people are going to be. Could you describe how close they're going to be.

I might venture to ask the contractor if there's any set lay out. Like will they all be facing your area or away?

Offline Card

• House Bee
  • Ken
    • Wikipedia Photo Gallery
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 08:23:02 pm »
I don't think I'd worry about the contractors or developers too much. After all, you were there first. It's not your fault if they didn't research the area before developing that particular piece of property - and it doesn't sound like the kind of area where city ordinances are going to be an issue.

Quote from: mtman
If they can be placed so they can't be seen I wouldn't think it would be a problem
Yeah, that's kind of my thinking too. Maybe put up a fence around the hives or some kind of visible barrier.

Just to keep nosy people from poking around, I'd go to the border between your property and the RV park and put up some big white signs that say: PUBLIC NOTICE: BIOHAZARD TOXINS HAVE NOT BEEN PROVEN TO CAUSE IMPOTENCE OR MUTATION AMONG HUMANS.
"You will come to learn a great deal if you study the insignificant in depth." - Buckaroo Banzai

Offline Bill W.

• House Bee
    • Bees by the Sea
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 08:29:21 pm »
They are going to be basically right on top of me.  Ten feet from the property line on 30' spacings.  According to the plot map, they will have two lots within 30' of hives (although they are concealed by brush).  There are going to be about 60 lots directly in the flight path between the bees and the fields they appear to forage most heavily.  (In fact, the field that is being turned into the RV lots is probably very heavily foraged.)

I used to back up to fields on the edge of forest.  Now there will be an RV park between me and the fields, but I don't think the bees are going to fly around the park to get there.

It just seems like the sort of situation that is bound to cause tensions with somebody, but I haven't had any neighbor problems yet, so I may be worrying needlessly.

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 09:27:52 pm »
How much is the RV park going to reduce the forage? You may not be able to sustain as many hives if a substantial portion of the local forage is being wiped out. Sure, bees forage up to 2 miles away, but the farther they venture, the more energy they need to consume to collect it. You may end up having to move hives, which will reduce the numbers, and negate any impact.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline budhanes

• New Bee
    • Find A Beekeeper - Swarm List
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 10:11:35 pm »
My thoughts...

I'm sure the bees will be ok with the new neighbors...

They were there first...

Don't come complaining to me when you build a nice restraunt next door to my hog farm either!!!

(I really don't have a hog farm, but you catch my drift).

I'm guessing these campers will be wanting to enjoy some nature, how about honeybees, there nature too aren't they...

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 10:24:09 pm »
 Darn Bill W., welcome to central Fl. The little town I live near outlawed chickens cause the people in the new developments didn't like to hear roosters crowing in the morning. When it comes to politicians, money talks.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline JordanM

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 11:07:11 pm »
Darn Bill W., welcome to central Fl. The little town I live near outlawed chickens cause the people in the new developments didn't like to hear roosters crowing in the morning. When it comes to politicians, money talks.

HaHa, my chickens cross are dirt road every day, which is heavily traveled 2 cars a minute. To get to the neighbors bird feeder, it turns out when the birds don't like some of the feed they scratch it over the edge and there is the chickens to peck it up. And the neighbors don't seem to mind roosters getting them up at 7:00 as long as there is fresh eggs on there way.

But anyways Bill, i know how you are feeling we have a huge RV resort right next to our house about 500 sites. There were huge problems at first people trespassing and go out our driveway and misbehaving in our woods. Until we had the campground put up a fence which i would highly recommend, without a physicall barrier people don't know there limits. The fence runs right down the property line and my beehives are about 30 feet from the fence right were all the campers are. This is my first year having bees here and it seems to be going good most of the people start looking over the fence at me in my beekeeping suite and start to wonder if there is something that they should be worried about over here, so i invite them to jump over the fence and i teach them all about beekeeping and honey bees and they are very interested, this particular guy said that the bees had been earlier cleaning up some sunny D that got split. So i hope that the bees will be fine in this location.

Another thing that worried me at first to was the smoke from the campfires that would be by the bees which doesn't seem to be a problem.

I will post some pics. tomorrow to show how close they really are.

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 11:47:40 pm »
keep quiet.  If they complain, it will be because your bees are a legal nuisance.  COming to the nuisance is generally a pretty good defense in most states.  You were there first, and they decided to build an RV park.  Besides, most folks in RV park are temporary enough not to have the clout to cause too much of a fuss.  (we hope)
Brian

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 11:47:48 pm »
My vote is with the fence or barrier. Better to let people know they are not allowed to go any further. A sign would be helpful also. It is just that your hives are so darn close to the RV park. Good Luck

Annette

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 11:55:39 pm »
My vote is with the fence or barrier. Better to let people know they are not allowed to go any further. A sign would be helpful also. It is just that your hives are so darn close to the RV park. Good Luck

Annette

I agree, high fence and signage, let them do their own homework, peace.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008, 07:10:27 am »
Without a fence, I would worry more about the people being a nusiance to you on your own property... but the fence shouldn't be your expense, either.  Telling the RV park developer about your bees is a good way to convince them to bear the cost of the fence.

I would definately tell the developer anyway, as it may change their plans to put an RV park there anyway.  From the sounds of it, the bees would definately spark 1 or 2 complaints to the RV park developer... which isn't really your problem... until they decide to start spraying with chemicals to kill the bees... then it becomes your problem.  Telling the developer might just avoid that whole mess... might even cause the developer to back off from developing that property, or at least get him to move some of the lots farther away from your property, which will still help your property value if nothing else.

Offline greg spike

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2008, 11:35:01 am »
It's been my observation that most people in RVs don't actualy get out and enjoy the outdoors much. Strange but seems to hold true.
I wouldn't worry too much yet. Winters on the way; So you've got some time to think about it.

Offline greg spike

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2008, 11:47:44 am »
Also, without immediate oil speculation legislation, the price of gas will surge again with heating oil demand this winter. This summer I cruised around for a couple days with my brother in-law, in his RV. I tell you, dropping 300 dollars in gas every day wasn't exactly my idea of a good time.

A fence is always a good idea. Talk to the developer; tell them you'll put up a fence, you've got tons of rusty barb wire and rotten fence posts around your place. They'll want something more attractive, or at least safer, and probably put up their own chain link fence.

Just remeber, you can't please everyone, in this world.

Offline trixyb

• New Bee
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2008, 12:55:58 pm »
You should register your bee yard which would give you a legal right to have them there. 

Offline ElDoBill

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2008, 01:00:40 pm »
Take pictures to establish your prior use of your land.  Pictures of your hives before, during and after construction may prove useful later.   

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2008, 01:16:40 pm »
ask the RV park developer to fence in his park.

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2008, 04:15:50 pm »
I wouldn't wait to talk to the developer... the longer you wait, the more he or she will be set in his or her plans for the place.  An early conversation might change their plans, a late conversation might only invite trouble.  I can't imagine having an RV park butted up against your property like what you describe would be good for your property value, so I would talk to them and see if they'll move the lots back, or at least build a tall privacy fence that would force your girls up and over them, and would shield your property from having to look at the RV park, and would help retain some of your property value.

Offline JordanM

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2008, 04:44:53 pm »
Most definitely get the fence if not for the bees than to keep the people off of your land and believe me there will be people all over in your woods without it. We had them put up a chainlink and up by the house they put slats in the chainlink to provide more of a private look.

Here is the pictures that i took today, you have to click on everyone to get a bigger picture of what i am talking about.

The first picture is my beehives from the front, if you look closely you can see the trailers through the trees back in the woods.

Here is the second picture it is a close up of my beehives and you can see campers back behind and a little bit of the fence.

Here is the third one to the right of the picture you can see the campers windows and directly behind the beehives you can see one to.

Here is the fourth one you can really see the back of that camper window now.

Here is the fifth one this is a picture taken right out the front door of our house. You can get a feel for how close they are here, behind is the entrance of the park. And you can also see the slats that they put in the fence here you can still see through it but it gives it a grayish look and is definitely better than having just the plain chain link. They have these slats in all the way back just be four the beehives, they only put them in up by the house. You can also see the Christmas trees that we sell during the wintertime to people and the huge ones right next to the fence that we are not selling and hoping in a few more years we wont be able to see the campground anymore once they grow up. the big tree in the middle is about 20 feet tall and the fence is about 6 feet tall.
[img=http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/726/dsc00645ce4.th.jpg]