Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Nucs,honey frames or sugar water the best?  (Read 1882 times)

Offline mdbee

• House Bee
Nucs,honey frames or sugar water the best?
« on: April 02, 2013, 10:28:20 am »
I have been using dead out honey over the years for my nucs with out any problems, is it better to use one to one sugar water or both? I have a lot of honey this spring.
Thanks,

Offline mdbee

• House Bee
Re: Nucs,honey frames or sugar water the best?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 11:20:47 am »
What I was trying to say is, if you put a frame of honey in the Nucs do you still need to feed them to get the best results?

Thanks!

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 11:47:34 am »
I personally feed (to simulate a flow) whenever I want them to draw comb/ expand brood. My thought is that if they only eat their honey they are only depleting their supplies. If they are bringing in new supplies (sugar water) they think a flow is on. Don't know if I'm correct in this but it seems to work.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 01:33:56 pm »
And that is what a lot of beekeepers think.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline rbinhood

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 02:20:49 pm »
When making a split feed, feed, feed, and then feed some more.
Only God can make these two things.....Blood and Honey!

Offline BMAC

• Field Bee
    • http://WWW.OLEMCDONALD.COM
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 02:24:14 pm »
I will second that.  Feed em.  Start them with that frame of honey and feed them afterwards.
God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 06:50:40 am »
I personally do not feed if there is a flow on. Which in town here is, luckily, most of the year.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Beverly Bees

• New Bee
    • Beverly Bees - Backyard beekeeping for the love of bees and honey!
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 08:03:13 am »
Honey is better for them than sugar, if you have honey for them there is no reason to feed. 

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 12:30:14 pm »
I absolutely agree with Beverly.

Sugar syrup has a much different pH than honey, not to mention it lacks a bunch of vitamins, minerals, etc.  A high school student here in OK just did her science fair project on comparing the difference between feeding bees honey, sugar syrup, HFCS, etc.  She concluded the gut of the bees fed only honey were much healthier than those of bees fed the other stuff.

I am a BIG believer in keeping back as much of the hive's honey stores as possible to be able to avoid supplemental feeding with anything but the bees own honey.  Of course, occasionally you are going to get in a dearth, bad weather period, etc. where feeding becomes absolutely essential to keep the hive alive.  But I believe healthier bees is the first and best line of defense against varroa, AFB, etc.
linda d

anything