Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Ha Ha Laughing gass pills?  (Read 1726 times)

Offline Spear

• House Bee
Ha Ha Laughing gass pills?
« on: August 24, 2013, 11:17:05 am »
In the stuff that I bought with the bee hives from the widow I found a little glass bottle labled "Ha Ha - Lachgaspillen" (Ha Ha Laughing gass pills). I read the instructions and it looks to be a kind of sedative that is added to a smoker for when you are requeening, joining coloney, or moving the hives. Has anyone ever hear of or used anything similar to this?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Ha Ha Laughing gass pills?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 10:51:37 pm »
No, never heard of it before.
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 02:09:46 am »
 Dont know about the pills--but if you add ammonium nitrate to your smoker it will produce
 nitrous oxide -beekeepers have used this for a variety of purposes-introduce virgin queens
 make splits or move a hot hive and so on--it puts the bees to sleep and when they wake up
 they have lost there sense of orientation and have to reorient themselves -lots of queen
producers use a similar technique with the bottled gas to sedate bees--my guse is your pills are
of this nature--RDY-B

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 06:41:08 am »
Dont know about the pills--but if you add ammonium nitrate to your smoker it will produce
 nitrous oxide -beekeepers have used this for a variety of purposes-introduce virgin queens
 make splits or move a hot hive and so on--it puts the bees to sleep and when they wake up
 they have lost there sense of orientation and have to reorient themselves -lots of queen
producers use a similar technique with the bottled gas to sedate bees--my guse is your pills are
of this nature--RDY-B

Thanks, learn something new every day.
Later,
Ray