Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Oxalic acid treatment  (Read 23520 times)

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
Re: Oxalic acid treatment
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2010, 10:59:28 pm »
Come may or june or whatever you decide to make splits, nucs or the like.  I dont see why one could not give the bees in new hive a treatment, then give them there new queen or queen cell the following day or two or something to this effect.  I guess Im getting way ahead of my self any way.
might work for a package -but a split -nuc-Divide would all contain BROOD -Dribel only works when broodles
you can vaporize at timley intervals- ;) RDY-B

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2010, 11:51:12 pm »
It means that it does permenant damge to the malpigian tubules of the bees treated.  Once those bees have died, you are treating different bees.  This you can do (treat different bees because the old ones have died), but two treatments on the same bees is a high mortality rate.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2010, 12:06:05 am »
Makes sense guys.  Any ideas for a different treatment all together during the summer months to help the girls out?  Sugar dusting, pesticides, and drone come are not something I want to do.  If I were to do one of the three it would be sugar but it really seem pointless to me.  Drone culling seems like such a waste of resources and labor for me and the girls.  I guess Ill see how my resistant queens perform compared to my mutts with mite counts.  I cant wait.  I checked the two hives I have not seen for a while and there doing great (of course I forgot my cam).  Im so happy.  Spring is almost here.
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2010, 12:57:59 am »
Last time I treated with anything for anything was 2003.  Some I haven't treated since 2001.  I much prefer my current system.  Less losses to Varroa and less cost and less work.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beescerts.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline daynoboy

• Brood
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2010, 05:02:10 pm »
Hello, I have made this movie.
The choice of using oxalic acid sublimed resulted after losing for years many families of bees with "oxalic acid drip"
I live in Italy, Rome. The climate in my country does not allow a block of brood to colonies of bees. Thus the treatment "drip" is not very effective against Varroa.
With appropriate protections, as I mentioned briefly in the movie, the risk to the beekeeper are minimized. Many professional beekeepers in Italy to use this method with satisfaction.
I am always at your disposal
Sincerely Bernardino Ferri
sublimation oxalic acid
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 07:39:45 pm by buzzbee »

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2010, 05:22:00 pm »
Hello, I have made this movie.
The choice of using oxalic acid sublimed resulted after losing for years many families of bees with "oxalic acid drip"
I live in Italy, Rome. The climate in my country does not allow a block of brood to colonies of bees. Thus the treatment "drip" is not very effective against Varroa.
With appropriate protections, as I mentioned briefly in the movie, the risk to the beekeeper are minimized. Many professional beekeepers in Italy to use this method with satisfaction.
I am always at your disposal
Sincerely Bernardino Ferri

Im assuming your new to this forum?  So, Welcome and thank you for the movie. 

I should have broodless or near broodless periods so I think I will try drip first. 

Enjoy this forum and stay at our disposal.

How are your bees health now?

bee-nuts
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2010, 06:28:27 pm »
The dribble is harder on the bees.  .

That is not true at all. It has no affect on spring build up and it has no affect on queens. It is surely the best mite killer nowadays and the less harmfull to human and bees. I use now only trickling because it is enough in my climate.

But it needs total brood brake. 

My bees have not yeat made cleansing flight and I digg hives from one metre snow. But they have quite much brood allready. Just now we have here -15C at night. During day it was -2C.

We use formic acid and thymol as spring treatment if the earlier treatment have not been succesfull.
Basicly one treatment per year is enough. Thanks to short brood period.

Language barrier NOT included

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2010, 12:00:07 am »
>>The dribble is harder on the bees.  .

>That is not true at all. It has no affect on spring build up and it has no affect on queens.

And yet the research shows it damages their malpighian tubules and all the documentation I've seen says you can only do one treatment.  Two will shorten their lives too much.  If two does too much then one is doing some damage.  You can vaporize every week for several weeks if you like with no noticeable issues.
-------------------

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2010, 02:12:29 am »

I've seen says you can only do one treatment.  Two will shorten their lives too much. 

yes but you must do only one treatment but it clean the hive during winter cluster time that other treatment  is not needed. - if you have a total brood brake in all hives.

It is long story again to repeat the advantage of dripling. It kills larvae and does not work during broodd so don't use it.

To swarms it is easy to use.

Dripling is the only method which you can use in the middle f winter near freezing point.

We have depated 5 years with Michael about this same thing and he will not change his feelings.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2010, 11:43:45 pm »
>yes but you must do only one treatment

Exactly.
-------------------

Offline BeeKeep

• Brood
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2010, 10:15:04 pm »
Hi Everyone.  I'm new to this site.  6 years with my own bees, 2 to 3 hives.

Is there an easy way to measure out 1 gm or 1.5 gm or 2 gm of OA crystals?
For example - x ml or x tsp?
I don't have ready access to a scale with that ability . .
Thanks
Scott

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2010, 12:07:03 am »
Hi Everyone.  I'm new to this site.  6 years with my own bees, 2 to 3 hives.

Is there an easy way to measure out 1 gm or 1.5 gm or 2 gm of OA crystals?
For example - x ml or x tsp?
I don't have ready access to a scale with that ability . .
Thanks
Scott

The digital scale is 10 dollars.

anything