Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Need peach tree help!  (Read 21904 times)

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
Need peach tree help!
« on: February 19, 2009, 02:35:50 pm »
I planted a peach tree about 10 years ago and it was doing great until about three years ago. We had a great crop and the main part of the tree split leaving me with a mess. Two years ago the tree produced great and more major splits even after trying to enenforce the branches. I have posted some pictures of what I am left with. Can anyone give a pruning tips or suggestions on what I should do?

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: Need peach tree help!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 03:54:11 pm »
That thing is kind of a mess.

I'm not going to try to give directions on pruning, it would be hard to do. But pruning is about "seeing" where future growth should be, taking into account fruit position, opening up the branches to help with sunlight and to fend off moisture diseases, etc.

I would ask if someone from the local gardening club would like to pay you a visit. And do not be surprised if the initial prune is heavy. It will take a couple years to get it to where it should be. I also would not hesitate to plant this trees "replacement". Some new trees will start giving off fruit after just a few years. If the main tree is split, this may be something to consider.

Realize also, that fruit growers "thin" the fruit. If it were not for thinning, they would never get the quality of fruit they get, and the trees would be forever splitting on them.

Are you also fertilizing?
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 04:25:31 pm »
I pmed Bud for you and provided the link to this post. He can give you some ideas. Ann can as well, Reinbeau, the gardening beek.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 08:59:02 pm »
take out the tall center branch. this will be radical but the best configuration for peach production is a central trunk with 3 to 4 scaffold limbs coming off the main trunk.

once this is established the goal is to take out everything in the center of the tree.
once the proper setup is obtained the tree should be shaped like an upside down umbrella.
each year take out the new wood in the center.
peaches only set fruit on 1 year old wood ( last years new wood )

prune every spring and keep the center clear.

( my dad had a farm and we planted and maintained 4000 peach trees )

the pruning pattern was the recomendation of the lsu ag center.

bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 09:36:33 pm »
I live on the heart of the Georgia peach belt. I never saw a peach tree that looks like that. I will try to snap and post a picture of some newly pruned trees that you can use as a guide.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 11:51:11 pm »
The tree is definitely in need of some corrective pruning and bailey and asprince have good suggestions.  My method of prunning would probably vary a little from bailey's but essentially the premise is the same.  Different roads to the same place.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 12:16:37 pm »
Thanks for the info. I know it is a mess and tried pruning it up each year but more and more peaches appeared and broke the limbs. When you said the tall center branch, did you mean the main trunk? If so how far down do I cut it.  If anyone wants I can email them the original picture so the size woudl be a lot larger and you can see it better. Image shack keeps it shrunk down.

Offline pollenchucker

• House Bee
  • 42 days and their wings fall off, eh?
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 09:10:08 pm »
I have a question if you dont mind, when is the best time to prune a peach tree?  While it is dormant I presume.  So can this be done even just before spring as long as the weather is still moderately cold and before the the bloom begins? Like right now?
-pc

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 10:46:38 pm »
I have a question if you dont mind, when is the best time to prune a peach tree?  While it is dormant I presume.  So can this be done even just before spring as long as the weather is still moderately cold and before the the bloom begins? Like right now?
-pc

Yes
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 01:02:52 pm »
I went to our local dealer for trees and found they will not be having any fruit trees this year, the third year in a row. Anyone know of a good fruit tree dealer? I found one on the internet and saved their info but my computer crashed and lost the info. I know they were somewhere in Pa.

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 01:07:09 pm »
Two years ago I purchased about a dozen trees from Adams County Nursery in Pa. They were friendly, the tress are doing well too. One tree died, and they replaced it w/o any hassle too. This will be my 3rd year and I expect some fruit. They did fruit even the first year, but I removed them. Last year I left about 12 fruit per tree but squirrels got to them. I got a mixture of apple, peach and pear. No complaints and they have multiple types of root stock for various soils and heights.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 01:14:31 pm »
Konasdad, I think that is the one  :shock: Thanks

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 02:00:23 pm »
Mmmm...grilled squirrel marinated in a peach vinagrette!!  :-D
Rick

Offline gmcharlie

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 02:33:02 pm »
peaches need pruned anytime before the sap runs and buds start.   The tree pictured is seriousl wild,  it needs cut WAY back.    All those wild brances should be cut back at least 2 feet.   pick the most solid  brances when its loaded (structuraly)  they may be teh main trunk,  maybe not...  but the brances that split definatly should be cut back to almost nothing.   you don't want a bunch of fruit on them.   When your done cutting you stand back and think OMG  what did I do.... And it will be perfect.  The tree will form new branches and will fruit well from the main trunks....  all those wild brances make leaves and dangly fruit,  which tends to get lost or strangled easily.....

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 12:08:36 am »
I guess I dont know what you guys mean by getting rid of the wild branches  :?. There are the two big branches at the bottom and then nothing for a long ways and then you got the top portion. I dont care what it looks like in the end I just dont want to cut it down because it has always produced great fruit. 

Offline gmcharlie

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2009, 10:31:48 am »
Look at this  I think my marks saved  (I paintshopped it)

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2009, 11:40:51 am »
Sorry dont see anything.

Offline gmcharlie

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2009, 02:28:15 pm »

Offline gmcharlie

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2009, 02:29:33 pm »
okay so I am not good at this yet,  I think I got it  the thin black lines would be the trim lines.  keep in mind the image resolution and the background make it an aproximation.  but I think it will make sense.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2009, 11:55:55 pm »
Thanks. I sea few of the lines so Ill try to do my best.

anything