Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honey Extractor  (Read 10127 times)

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
Re: Honey Extractor
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2013, 08:18:23 pm »
I don't see that preparedness is anything unusual myself.  But back to extractors.  Every extractor wears out a number of beekeeepers.  If you put a wanted add on craigslist and kept it current and watched a couple forums, I think you can come up with a good used extractor pretty easily.  I bought a 32 frame radial with an automatic advance for less than a new ten framer.  So what if it only has to run a few times.  Used old handcrank extractors can be had even cheaper.  But unless you are just into being hard on yourself get a manual for a primary.  You can always use them to brew sour mash in if they are stainless. 

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2013, 08:25:41 pm »
Just something for you to think about. My schedule does not allow me to pull all my honey in a day and extract the next. I have a 20 frame extractor and what I do is pull 20 frames cap it put it in the extractor, spin it, then leave the frames to drain till I have time to pull 20 more. then repeat the process. Having the 20 frame extractor cuts the days spent in the process. And the electric motor makes the job much easier.

Offline RC

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2013, 10:21:45 pm »
If you buy one you can grow into, you'll probably never have to buy another one. If you buy a small one, you'll probably have to buy another one. You know how this addiction is. Heck, it made Moots buy a truck! :-D

Moots

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2013, 11:50:26 pm »
If you buy one you can grow into, you'll probably never have to buy another one. If you buy a small one, you'll probably have to buy another one. You know how this addiction is. Heck, it made Moots buy a truck! :-D

GSF,
Just in case you think RC may be joking...He's not!  I did!  :-D

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2013, 09:41:58 pm »
Update;

Okay, after comparing and reading a couple different threads I bought the Mann Lake 18/9. HH 170 Extractor and HH 166 Motor Conversion kit.

These things must be heavier than I thought. They are sending it out freight.

I loved the Maxant story on You tube, however they didn't offer (or I couldn't find it) what I was looking for. I wanted one with the choice of a motor or manual. I plan to retire in about 7 more years for the second time. I'm looking at all this as an investment. It'll be supplemental income or yard sale items  :-D
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline glennj3cub

• New Bee
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2013, 01:25:26 am »
 I have my first hive, got it last year with it being very weak. Had a great summer and got me some honey! Was wondering how I was going to extract the honey, just happened to find at an antique place in a local town, a small hand driven, galvanized machine. I guess it is a two framer. Added the valve to the bottom and she works great for $65 !

Do you guys strain your honey through any cheese cloth or what? I just used a kitchen wire strainer, seemed to work OK.

Glenn
Glenn