Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Winter feed question for southern Indiana beeks  (Read 2992 times)

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
Winter feed question for southern Indiana beeks
« on: January 11, 2013, 07:01:52 pm »
This is my first time overwintering.   The bees in the lang are in the top deep now [wintered in 2 deeps, full].  I heard a nice hum when I rapped on the side.  I  can't tell by lifting whether they are too light because I just don't have a feel for that.  All hives feel heavy to me, but I didn't have a hard time tipping it a bit.   I don't want to feed them too early, but I don't want them to starve because I was too reluctant to feed.   

It's warm now, but they're not flying much.  Supposed to get cold again in a couple of days and stay cold for a while.   

Would it be Ok if I waited  for another couple of weeks before I dropped some candy in there?   Or should I do it sooner since they're already in the top box?
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
Re: Winter feed question for southern Indiana beeks
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 07:14:17 pm »
not southern Indiana but, I would put it in now while you have a chance with the warmer weather. It's still winter and gonna be for while. If you think they may be light, why take a chance?
We place our candy bricks on at Thanksgiving. If some run out during winter I'm covered.
If they don't, we have a bunch of sugar bricks to make syrup with in the spring.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 01:36:02 am »
   Or should I do it sooner since they're already in the top box?

Open the cover and look, hiow much yiou see capped food in frames.

If they have, there is no reason to feed.
Language barrier NOT included

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 06:20:13 am »
Finski you are right, but how do we see what’s in the cells when they’re covered with bees :?  I sure don’t want to pull frames in the winter.  Adding a candy board now surely can’t hurt anything can it?  Seems like a wise course of action if in doubt.

For the record, I’m NOT feeding my hives anything after being scolded for giving my baby nucs a few honey balls for Thanksgiving. :-D 

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 06:42:12 am »
Finski you are right, but how do we see what’s in the cells when they’re covered with bees :?

I can see. I do not why not you.

Of course first thing is to lift the hive, what is the weight. If it feels light, then look inside.

But giving food allways as you feel so, it is nonsense.

This is not time to break their winter sleep-

date is 12.1.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 06:48:02 am »

Adding a candy board now surely can’t hurt anything can it? 

If hives have food why in heck you must give more every month?

But if you give,  you give. I cannot help you.

YOu must do something if winter food is finish in two months. In my hives food is enough for 8 months.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 08:07:00 am »

Would it be Ok if I waited  for another couple of weeks before I dropped some candy in there?   Or should I do it sooner since they're already in the top box?

Hard to say if it is ok to wait another two weeks.

Without blowing smoke, which happens by all the experts everytime someone mentions feeding, my best advice would be....Go ahead and place the feed on them. Nothing sucks more than losing your hives the first year, especially for something such as a lack of food, and something so easily handled.

The key of why I would not wait, is the fact that your bees are in the top box. Many times this is due to the bees feeding up through and having limited feed, while also trying to conserve energy by placing themselves where trapped heat helps them the most. I would place fondant/candy/sugar on the inner cover hole. Here is a page on feeding sugar: http://www.pennapic.org/feedingsugar.html

Good luck.

Disclaimer: I have been told that my advice, and the feeding practices mentoned above are "child's play" and that "Americans are ignorant when it comes to feeding". Please be advised that such claims if seen after this post will not be responded too. We offer the above advise without malice, ill-will, motive, ego driven agenda, or negative connotations. It is offered by us with no expectations, and your acceptance is of your free will. (signed-An ignorant American)

That is all.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 09:28:06 am by BjornBee »
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 08:34:34 am »
Thanks for the feedback so far.  What has me most concerned is that they're in the top box.   

I have good temps this morning, 56 degrees as I write this [before ugly weather for the next week or so] and I have help, so we're going to go in and pop the top and check the frames and see what they have left up top.  My husband may be able to lift and have a better idea of how much lighter the hive is, too. 

I have the candy made - all I have to do is lay it on top when ready.    If I see good stores, then I can put an extra super over the inner cover and be ready to lay some candy on at the beginning of Feb if they get really light.

Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Offline 2tall

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 09:02:11 am »
I would take advantage of the warm temps and put the food on now.With the very dry summer here the bees had a tough time, several of my hives have ate the entire board already.If they dont need it you can remove come spring time, if they are at top now bet they could use it.

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 12:49:12 pm »
Disclaimer: I have been told that my advice, and the feeding practices mentoned above are "child's play" and that "Americans are ignorant when it comes to feeding". Please be advised that such claims if seen after this post will not be responded too. We offer the above advise without malice, ill-will, motive, ego driven agenda, or negative connotations. It is offered by us with no expectations, and your acceptance is of your free will. (signed-An ignorant American)That is all.

:brian: :lau: :brian:

I've seen this emergency feeding with sugar now and then.

I've been wondering in what kind of winter temperatures dose this work?

Are there other things that one should do, think off or not when feeding this way?

Are there temperatures that it doesn't work or is not recommended?

mvh edward  :-P

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 05:35:11 pm »
Strange forecast in Solsberry Indiana

18°....-6°

8°...-8°

-2°...-7°

2°....-4°

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 06:11:02 pm »
Very strange forecast, indeed.    We get crazy weather here.   It just started raining - 60 degrees F.  Temps will drop and by tomorrow night it's down to 18 F, with snow and sleet.   Gotta love this part of the world. 

I did go check the bees today.  It was easy to see how much honey they had.  The lang was very light on stores!    I put candy bricks in the hive and some dry sugar on paper, too because they were so low.    Sprayed the dry sugar like Michael Bush recommends.   Bees were all over it.

I checked the horizontal hive, too.   They still had some stores, but were lighter than I wanted, so I put some dry sugar on paper in that hive, too.    I think they have nosema - I will start a new topic and post a pic to see what you guys think.   

I'm guessing that if the weather stays cold they'll be fine until the beginning of Feb?   They each have 5 lbs + sugar on their hives.   

Thanks very much, everyone!
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012