Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Too late to trap out?  (Read 29529 times)

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
Re: Too late to trap out?
« Reply #100 on: November 22, 2011, 10:28:56 am »
they gonna want to swarm before you finish the trap out  :lol:

Don't say that!!  :-X
Shane

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #101 on: November 22, 2011, 11:36:18 am »
Thanks for the speaker offer. They will have to be installed in my head. My ears are the problem, not the computer.

To save on weight, replace a few honey frames with foundation and freeze the honey frames. Reinstall them when the hive is placed permanently and a box is added.

Set the lid on diagonally and twist it into place after lightly smoking the hive to run them down.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #102 on: November 22, 2011, 12:50:50 pm »
Nice video shane. Thanks.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #103 on: November 22, 2011, 06:03:13 pm »
Thanks for the speaker offer. They will have to be installed in my head. My ears are the problem, not the computer.

To save on weight, replace a few honey frames with foundation and freeze the honey frames. Reinstall them when the hive is placed permanently and a box is added.

Set the lid on diagonally and twist it into place after lightly smoking the hive to run them down.

Thanks again.

I am ready to add another box to my other hive, could I take 2 frames of honey from this hive and put in the new box on the other hive?
Shane

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #104 on: November 22, 2011, 06:03:40 pm »
Nice video shane. Thanks.
Jim

No worries Jim.
Shane

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #105 on: November 22, 2011, 07:01:56 pm »
Yes, two or more.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #106 on: November 22, 2011, 07:02:38 pm »
Thanks. I will do that.
Shane

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #107 on: November 22, 2011, 07:31:20 pm »
When I take the frames of honey out would I be best adding the new frames in the centre as that is where the queen prefers to lay?
Shane

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #108 on: November 22, 2011, 09:47:30 pm »
I would place them where each one has a full frame on each side of it. Then they can't draw it out one-sided. Where in the box doesn't matter.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #109 on: November 26, 2011, 06:01:06 am »
Hi guys, I have a few updates.

I went over yesterday, planning on pulling a few honey frames out and replacing them with foundation. Unfortunately the area under the lid was full of honey so I decided that just swapping out some frames wasn't going to do the job.
I ended up adding a super to give them the room they needed. I pulled 5 frames from the bottom and put them in the top and added 5 new frames to the bottom, alternated with the frames of honey. I also did the same in the top with 5 new frames.
Is 5 new frames in the bottom enough for a new queen? Will the bees eventually move the honey out of the "brood box" to allow more room for the queen to lay?

Today I went back over just to make sure I didn't cause any problems yesterday and I noticed plenty of small bees coming out of the wall. It's now 22 days since initially setting the trap so these small bees must have recently hatched. They were flying off to forage and then coming back loaded with pollen by the looks of things. As I was watching all of these bees coming out, I happened to notice they were also getting back in - behind the ply board!! I quickly sealed this up and hopefully stopped them from being able to do this. I don't think the bees from the wall have noticed the gap behind the board (created by my fiddling with the board and trying to remove the cone prematurely) until today so I don't think it had caused any problems until the newly hatched bees appeared and found it. As previously noted with this colony, the bees coming out the wall again today were much smaller than your average hived bee. I am assuming that again this is because of a more natural cell size?

I have a video of todays adventure which I'll post up a bit later.
Shane

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #110 on: November 26, 2011, 09:06:38 am »
Shane

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #111 on: November 26, 2011, 10:17:43 am »
Shane
 I may be wrong but in the vid prior to above I believe I see Larva
@ about 4:30 in the vid and @ 5:15 ,If this is so your queen has
all ready started to Lay,what I see @ 4:30 is right above the open
Q cell and a bit right
 I also this with the leak you had and the amount of bees in the original
trap out hive,you can remove it and start another hive especially if your first
queen has been laying.
Good luck

Tommyt
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #112 on: November 26, 2011, 08:04:37 pm »
Thanks Tommy, Unfortunately I don't think I have a frame of eggs to spare to be able to start another box :(
Shane

Offline Country Heart

• House Bee
« Reply #113 on: November 29, 2011, 03:04:11 am »
Congratulations!    :cheer:
It looks like all your efforts are paying off and you are going to have a great new hive on your hands. 

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #114 on: November 29, 2011, 03:48:02 am »
Thanks.

I am very happy with this hive. Its kinda unbelievable really that I was watching a lot of JP and schawee's videos of removals hoping I would get the chance to do something similar one day. Even more unbelievable is that I was watching JP's video of Iddee's trap out demonstration just a few minutes before the next door neighbor called me over.
Shane

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #115 on: December 02, 2011, 12:49:17 am »
Hi guys, I still have plenty of bees coming out of the wall so I have been thinking about setting another box.

Could I take the super of the current trap box add a bottom board, fit a frame of eggs and use this as the next trap box? My thinking is that it will already have bees to look after the frame of eggs I add.

Thanks
Shane

Offline Country Heart

• House Bee
« Reply #116 on: December 02, 2011, 03:46:59 am »
Thanks.

I am very happy with this hive. Its kinda unbelievable really that I was watching a lot of JP and schawee's videos of removals hoping I would get the chance to do something similar one day. Even more unbelievable is that I was watching JP's video of Iddee's trap out demonstration just a few minutes before the next door neighbor called me over.

Kinda sounds like it was meant to be.   :)

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #117 on: December 02, 2011, 06:44:54 am »
It has been 28 days since you set the trap. The new queen should be laying now, or within a very few days. Be sure you move her and not the queenless half.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #118 on: December 02, 2011, 08:02:49 am »
You mean make sure she is in the bottom half I move away?
Shane

Offline jaseemtp

• House Bee
« Reply #119 on: December 02, 2011, 02:03:06 pm »
Awesome videos ShaneJ.  Thanks for sharing with us.
"It's better to die upon your feet than to live upon your knees!" Zapata